Talk

Advanced search

Eastleigh, Hampshire Toynbee or Crestwood

(11 Posts)
Happysummer Sat 29-Aug-20 18:48:13

We are in catchment for both. Neighbours all seem to opt for Crestwood (though I don't understand the split campus thing) perhaps as easier to get to. But Toynbee is better in all results.

Any comments on how each school has dealt with lockdown or benefits of either?

We are looking to move from Eastleigh to Chandler's Ford at some point so leaning towards Toynbee. DD going into year 6 so we need to submit in October for 2021 admission.

OP’s posts: |
TeenPlusTwenties Sun 30-Aug-20 10:39:30

No direct experience, but a couple of parents I know with kids at Toynbee seem pretty happy.

At least one of 2 schools which merged to make Crestwood was iffy but that was 5 years ago so I don't know how the merged school is.

ListeningQuietly Wed 02-Sep-20 19:03:31

Toynbee is a bit of a dark horse and gets better results than many realise

user1471466529 Thu 03-Sep-20 15:39:58

Hi
My daughter has just finished at Toynbee, couldn't fault it , highly recommend it smile

June2008 Sat 05-Sep-20 18:48:13

You might want to have look at the results from this year at Toynbee. I understand it didn't go well for the school overall. Lots of parents not very happy.

I hear good things about Crestwood. The school is on two sites as it amalgamated two separate schools about 5 years ago. There is very little if any difference between the two sites now, I think it comes down to your preference as to which one you go to.

Crestwood got good press during lockdown as they were on it with live lessons and providing work.

TeenPlusTwenties Sat 05-Sep-20 18:59:47

I'm not convinced looking at this year's results would be very fair.

A school that 'played by the rules' and made sure they weren't overly optimistic could easily come out looking worse than a school that were optimistic on all grades compared with their previous attainment (and should have been adjusted down by algorithm, but weren't)...

Missmonkeypenny Sat 05-Sep-20 19:05:00

The headteacher at crestwood is second to none, excellent teacher and incredibly passionate about her job and each child.

Elisheva Sat 05-Sep-20 19:15:15

My son has just gone into year 9 at Crestwood and we have been very happy with the school. In lockdown they had a timetable of online taught lessons. The school is excellent pastorally, their communication with parents is very, very good and they respond promptly to emails.
Whereabouts will you be living in Chandlers Ford? Will your Dd be able to get to either of the schools independently?

KitKatastrophe Sat 05-Sep-20 19:19:26

Re the split campus thing. It used to be too completely separate schools, Crestwood and Quilley. Then one was taken over by the other. So they are two separate buildings, each with a science department, maths department, cohort of students and staff etc. But they have the same uniform, policies, senior leadership team, rules and regs. I havent been there but this is based on a colleague who used to work there and had to go from one campus to the other for staff meetings after school!
I assume you apply for one campus or the other and your child wouldnt move between them.

I have heard good things about Toynbee. I think it gets overshadowed by Thornden as it is so close by, so people dont tend to "aim" for Toynbee. But it is a good school.

Elisheva Sat 05-Sep-20 20:00:44

You apply to go to Crestwood and then select a campus after you are offered a place. Day to day they are two separate schools, children stay on their campus. Things like school productions/concerts are done over both campuses and some after school clubs are only run on one campus. The campuses are a mile and a half apart.
Each campus has a head of school, and then the head teacher has overall responsibility for both.

Happysummer Mon 07-Sep-20 14:17:15

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. Saw a neighbour this morning who went Toynbee which is 30-40 mins walk from us (albeit could get a bus too). I've had a look at website/twitter to see what each does/their care and I am quite taken with Toynbee at the moment. Especially the sports side of things.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in