Talk

Advanced search

IB DP

(10 Posts)
Monkeybana Thu 20-Aug-20 15:20:05

We are relocating to UK in a few months. DD is currently last year of IB MYP and plans to study IB DP in a state school. Is it possible to apply several schools in different areas and then decide where to live after getting an offer from one of the schools?

OP’s posts: |
mimbleandlittlemy Thu 20-Aug-20 15:50:42

Very, very few state schools teach IB in the UK, though there are more private (fee paying) schools that do it.

www.ibo.org/about-the-ib/the-ib-by-country/u/united-kingdom/

For a place in a state school, you do need to be resident.

When you say you are relocating in a few months - term starts in September in the UK so schools are just about to go back.

lanthanum Thu 20-Aug-20 16:11:46

Talk to the schools and find out what they say about the likelihood of there being a place when you get here. There are two IB schools in my area, both sixth forms of (good) comprehensive schools, and I suspect you'd be pretty safe to assume you'd get a place at one of them, assuming appropriate MYP grades. One of them offers a host family scheme for students coming from overseas, so does take some applications separately from the local applications system.

Monkeybana Thu 20-Aug-20 17:06:44

Thanks! DD got good MYP grades. We note there are only a few schools to choose from. How strong is the competition for these schools in UK?

OP’s posts: |
lanthanum Thu 20-Aug-20 18:08:19

I suspect that varies a great deal. I don't know about my local ones, but I've never heard anyone say "it's really hard to get into..." I suspect, although I don't know, that at least one of the IB options is not oversubscribed, especially since the second opened. It's the A-level options that are oversubscribed in this area.
The local ones to me are Impington International College and Parkside Sixth, if you want some to try contacting.

Monkeybana Wed 26-Aug-20 00:47:02

Thank you. Is it common for students to apply several sixth form schools and get conditional offer from more than 1 school around March and confirm with 1 school after release of GCSE results in August?

OP’s posts: |
lanthanum Wed 26-Aug-20 09:40:02

In our area, there's a common application process for those coming from the local schools. It's a bit less clear what happens for those moving into the area.
www.cap14-19.org.uk/page/?title=Making+the+right+decision+at+16%2B&pid=13
I'm afraid I don't know much about the timings as we haven't been through it yet, but I'm fairly sure final confirmation of places is post results. It may be that they have to express a preference amongst the offers they have before then.

hoodiemum Wed 26-Aug-20 14:34:51

In our area, no competition for state school IB places. People travel quite a distance, from out of county, and are high achieving, so generally push up results for the college - so all are welcomed. The distance has a slightly negative effect on social lives in sixth form, but everyone is there because they've made an active choice to do IB and tend to be extremely motivated. Much smaller class sizes than for A level. Our experience was extremely positive.
Not sure how a mid-year arrival would work, but I think they'd try to fit to accommodate if they can.

hoodiemum Wed 26-Aug-20 14:36:45

And yes, it's not uncommon to apply to more than one college and make a final choice after GCSE results. Two of mine have done that. Think they had to apply in November, with conditional offer in Jan/Feb, but I'm not 100% on those dates.

Monkeybana Wed 26-Aug-20 15:44:45

Thank you so much for sharing. We have emailed several schools and are invited to apply in Autumn 2020 from overseas. Hope we will get at least one conditional offer in Spring 2021.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in