Talk

Advanced search

More than 1 Sixth form offer

(8 Posts)
Confusedbutheyho Wed 19-Aug-20 10:05:02

My DD applied for Sixth form in her own school but has her heart set on another 6th form.

Her meeting to be accepted on to sixth form is straight after results whereas her interview to do the same at preferred sixth form isn’t until next week. We aren’t sure if she’ll get in to the desired one.

Would it be ok to accept place (as insurance) at her school and then free herself from it if she gets into preferred one next week?

OP’s posts: |
Confusedbutheyho Wed 19-Aug-20 13:38:59

Anyone?

123rd Wed 19-Aug-20 13:42:06

Won't she find out tomorrow ? And then don't agree to the insurance place until she has heard from the preferred place?
My DC has to confirm sixth form by FRI midday, I guess to address this sort of issue

PoetaDeLosSandwiches Wed 19-Aug-20 13:53:43

Yes, perfectly ok. It happens all the time. She won't be the only one doing that.

At my dd's school, there was even one girl who went to the 'better' sixth form for a few days, decided she didn't really like it, went back to the school and got them to take her back.

MadameMinimes Wed 19-Aug-20 14:58:10

As a Head of Sixth Form I’d have no problem with this. We understand that kids have to cover their bases. I know some local schools take cash deposits to discourage it but that has never sat right with me.
What I would really appreciate is the kid being honest about not being 100% decided and letting us know ASAP if they are withdrawing to go elsewhere. School funding is on a knife edge at the moment and there is nothing worse than when kids sign up and then just don’t turn up on the first day of term without telling us, when we’ve sometimes rejected late applicants because we thought the courses were full. We’ve called kids on the first day of term to find that they took a different place hours after signing up with us and never let us know, meaning that we could fill their spot with another applicant.

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 19-Aug-20 15:03:10

PoetaDeLosSandwiches

Yes, perfectly ok. It happens all the time. She won't be the only one doing that.

At my dd's school, there was even one girl who went to the 'better' sixth form for a few days, decided she didn't really like it, went back to the school and got them to take her back.

Someone did this in my son's year - went off to sort-after school (having told all the teachers at the end of Y11 what he thought of them...) then he came back to Y12 in 3rd week of term. Teachers all tactfully forgot what he'd said to them and he has just got in to Cambridge, so it didn't do him any harm and they obviously didn't hold it against him when it came to references.

Confusedbutheyho Wed 19-Aug-20 16:03:24

Wow thanks all - phew!

@MadameMinimes thank you for your viewpoint as head of sixth form, we would be letting the school know by Wednesday so they still have time to fill the place. Hopefully that’ll be ok.

MadameMinimes Wed 19-Aug-20 16:32:15

We’d be really grateful. I’m sure that will be fine, it happens all the time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in