Talk

Advanced search

Pencil cases and 30cm rulers

(13 Posts)
surpriseeng Mon 17-Aug-20 20:11:44

For the last couple of years I've managed to find long clear pencil cases that fit 30cm rulers and everything else in a single compartment. This year DS says he wants a pencil case with compartments but they tend to be smaller..He's insisting he doesn't need a 30cm ruler anyway, even though it's on his equipment list, but I'm less sure.

Can anyone recommend a compartmentalised case that is 30cm ruler-friendly?

OP’s posts: |
Findahouse21 Mon 17-Aug-20 20:14:03

Get one of the rulers that Folds in half

Danglingmod Mon 17-Aug-20 20:14:18

Buy a foldable or bendy ruler...sorted!

Bunnybigears Mon 17-Aug-20 20:14:48

Buy a folding ruler? I'm suprised your DS managed to keep a 30cm ruler in one piece! My DS starts off with all the right equipment and ends up with a 3cm long bit of broken ruler and a leaky biro in his blazer pocket by about day 3.

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Aug-20 20:15:11

Can he not carry the ruler loose in his bag?

RedskyAtnight Mon 17-Aug-20 20:20:38

If he says he doesn't need a 30cm ruler, then maybe just have one for at home?

neutralintelligence Mon 17-Aug-20 21:32:46

My DS broke every single folding ruler within days.
After that he always had a 30cm ruler loose in his bag, but I don't think it was ever used.

HighRopes Tue 18-Aug-20 06:35:10

I had the same issue - ended up buying a metal ruler which survives being loose in her bag, plus a smaller pencil case. Her primary school didn’t allow folding rulers, so I didn’t get one though for secondary just in case, otherwise it would have been a good solution.

BluePaintSample Tue 18-Aug-20 14:26:36

My sons had their 30cm bendy ruler inserted into their planner on the right week and had a normal 15cm ruler in their pencil case.

Bendy rulers are great, firstly because they do not snap and secondly because other students don't nick them during a lesson to glue dot the ceiling. ie you cut a slice of glue from the top of the pritt stick with the ruler, then ping it onto the ceiling, apparently longer rulers are better for this.

Zandathepanda Tue 18-Aug-20 14:29:09

I always saw the word ‘shatterproof’ on a ruler as a challenge!

ZarkingBell Tue 18-Aug-20 14:31:42

Just have it loose in his bag? Metal rulers robust for this.

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Aug-20 15:14:44

We used to put plastic rulers on the radiators at school and bend them into different shapes.
<misses point>

Bunnybigears Tue 18-Aug-20 18:58:20

No metal rulers allowed at DS school as they can be used as a weapon confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in