Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on kids being weighed when back to school?

(20 Posts)
SuperMom681 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:37:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OP’s posts: |
TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:46:39

Feom a health perspective I think it's important to know if children are overweight and to address it through fun activities.

My concern with the programme lies in what the output will be.

My DD has gained weight, still sits in the healthy BMI bracket but heavier than she was. The reason isn't that I'm negligent or don't care, it's that play parks have been (still are in my city) locked up, all leisure facilities have been closed and me and DH like hundreds of thousands of parents have been working full time from home while 'home schooling' and time has been a limited resource.

If the output is that loads of parents are made to feel like crap for not doing enough then I think the programme is flawed, if the output is more time allotted in school for physical activity then I think it could be beneficial.

Shinygreenelephant Thu 13-Aug-20 19:50:23

@TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 totally agree (and love your name!)

My DDs put weight on - still very slim but she went from 8 hours per week of dance/gymnastics training and a few zoom classes and stretching in the garden just doesn't compare. Plus no parks, no trampolining etc its totally natural. If they made her feel like crap about it I'd be furious (or the same any kid who actually was overweight) but if they just gave them extra PE / outdoor time then great

AHippoNamedBooBooButt Thu 13-Aug-20 19:51:43

Wouldn't bother me, my kids all seem healthy weights and as the youngest is going into reception, will be weighed anyway.

But also it can't just be about our kids putting on weight during lockdown, but will also help spot those who have been neglected and are underweight, and also to see if the free school meals is actually being beneficial to those who struggle to feed their family. It's not always about obesity

ComeOnBabyPopMyBubble Thu 13-Aug-20 19:53:01

How can they know if kids have put on weight during lockdown if they weren't weighed before it started?

Oryxx Thu 13-Aug-20 20:02:04

Wouldn’t bother me. If my DCs were overweight I’d rather know sooner rather than later so I could gently do something about it.

Lots of people have a very skewed idea of what a healthy weight looks like on a child and it can be difficult to see what’s right in front of you as a parent. For example, my DD1 is in the middle of the healthy BMI range but people have commented on how skinny they think she is. She isn’t skinny, she’s a normal weight! But compared to some her (overweight) peers, she looks tiny.

SingingSands Thu 13-Aug-20 20:05:36

I've not heard this. I hope not.

I wouldn't be comfortable with it for my DD. She has a tendency towards disordered eating and I already worry about her weight. I don't think schools are really the right place for this.

Biancadelrioisback Thu 13-Aug-20 20:07:27

As someone who was always muscular as a teen and therefore heavier than my friends, I ended up on a pro-mia website and was hooked and developed bulimia as a result. My BMI was never over and I was slim but muscular. I don't think that children or teens should be shamed in such a way.

Whathappenedtothelego Thu 13-Aug-20 20:12:04

They can't possibly know, as they don't know how much they weighed in March.

And healthy, growing children are supposed to put weight on anyway - I certainly hope mine will weigh more next Spring than they do now, and would be concerned if it was suggested to them they should weigh less.

RowboatsinDisguise Thu 13-Aug-20 20:16:59

It’s interesting from a whole cohort data collection perspective. I’m sure you could get some really good information out of the figures and actually it might be possible to use that to inform public health planning. HOWEVER what will happen in reality is that kids will get weighed, parents will get a shitty letter, no actual practical steps will be taken to address the weight issues, and there will be loads of Daily Mail sad face articles. So why not skip the weighing, increase provision for PE and cookery lessons at school, and put some more funding towards healthy school meals?

Millie2013 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:17:53

I’ve no baseline for DD, as we don’t weigh her, so wouldn’t know if she’s gained weight during lockdown (she looks about the same as in March though), but I can see how the Sept-early 2021 data might be useful

I think it depends if it’s presented in a sensitive, age appropriate way. I’m not sure sharing weights with older kids would be helpful- I remember being weighed at about age 13 in school and the upset it caused a fair few children (partly because the PE teacher wasn’t very discrete or very nice abut it)

ComeOnBabyPopMyBubble Thu 13-Aug-20 20:18:30

Whathappenedtothelego

They can't possibly know, as they don't know how much they weighed in March.

And healthy, growing children are supposed to put weight on anyway - I certainly hope mine will weigh more next Spring than they do now, and would be concerned if it was suggested to them they should weigh less.

I suspect that they are talking about the kids that are overweight in September , whether they lost any weight by April.

If not...God help us.

Bad enough that without previous weight they have no idea if kids lost, gained,maintained or lost but are still overweight.

I'm ok with it, but if they're going to be stupid about it, then any benefits will be lost/pointless anyways and the risk would not be justifiable.

eddiemairswife Thu 13-Aug-20 20:22:10

It's probably because Boris is trying to lose weight, and why should he be the only one to suffer?

christinarossetti19 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:29:52

If there are concerns that children have been less active etc so have become unhealthier, including gaining too much weight, due to lock down it's a public health issue.

The govt should increase resources and provision for PE and sport in schools and adjust the national curriculum accordingly (spoiler, it won't). Subsidise school lunches so that healthy choices are free/very cheap etc.

All sorts of useful things they could be doing to address this identified public health issue.

elkiedee Fri 21-Aug-20 20:06:31

Without a before weight and without knowing about changes in height it doesn't seem particularly helpful.

My sons are 13 and 11 and have both grown a lot in height. DS2 is a naturallly skinnier lookng build than his brother, though I don't believe that either have a weight issue at the moment. I've been a bit overweight since my late 20s, but never was as a child or teenager.

My borough claims a healthy eating programme and the secondary school where DS2 is about to join DS1 has supposed rules, but I think the privatisaed catering, with a canteen and extra snacks available at break, and then a fried chicken shop on either side of school, raises a lot of issues. This includes things like not taking a large bag of crisps in - actually, I'd prefer DS1 (now 13) to share a large bag of crisps with his mates and to associate that as a sharing size. Obviously schools can't control what happens outside school but the catering set up isn't that consistent, and I think there needs to be some thought about what happens when kids either go home or hang out together after school and are hungry in the middle of the afternoon?

Lucyccfc68 Sat 22-Aug-20 22:24:15

I've not heard anything from my DS's school. He has definitely put weight on, but it is inline with the 5 inches he has grown during the last few months.

He is still very slim and loves that he is now as tall as his friends, but hates the stretch marks he has as a result of such a quick growth spurt.

portico Sun 23-Aug-20 07:45:36

It’s wrong. If PHSE wasn’t bad enough, now this. That being said, it will appeal to MN virtue signallers.

School is about teaching Academic Subjects. I would like the nanny state to fuck off. Only parents have these rights.

Btw, how are teachers meant to teach if they have to implement volumes of new weekly guidance issued by the Government.

Yes, we do have an oversight epidemic, but that Must remain the purview of parents/caters - not schools.

Paranoidmarvin Sun 23-Aug-20 07:50:39

My son is now going to college. So this doesn’t affect him anymore. But not a chance in hell would anyone be weighing my son. What a big step forward to disordered eating that would be. Not a chance.

ComeOnBabyPopMyBubble Tue 25-Aug-20 10:32:24

* but that Must remain the purview of parents/caters - not schools.*

What if the parents/carers don't "see" it / aren't willing to do anything about it?

Would you feel the same if the child was malnourished/underweight?

Julmust Tue 25-Aug-20 11:56:18

I was happy to let my dds be weighed in Reception and year 6, but wouldn't be keen on them being weighed now they are age 13 and 16.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in