Talk

Advanced search

Re sits for year 11's in autumn

(3 Posts)
itsgettingweird Mon 10-Aug-20 19:03:23

I am waiting for more information and cannot find anything online currently but a local secondary school has just informed parents of children want to resist GCSEs because they don't believe their grade is reflective of their ability it's £50 per exam - payable by the student/parents

shock

OP’s posts: |
lanthanum Mon 10-Aug-20 19:17:04

They'd be foolish if they didn't put some restrictions on - if they thought someone would be lucky to get more than a 4, and they get a 4, they wouldn't normally pay for a remark. It's possible that when it comes to it, they will be willing to pay for those they think really are likely to do better on the resit, but it's probably best to have the warning out there of the resit costs for those who are just optimistic that they'll do better.

You also have to bear in mind that some pupils who might have done better if the exam had happened will not do better on the resit, as they've probably not done any work on the subject for months, and there won't be much opportunity to give them any preparation - especially in 11-16 schools.

Except for maths and English (and possible science), I don't think it's going to be in most pupils' interests to do the resits. Everyone is going to take 2020 exam results with a pinch of salt, and they'd be better concentrating on whatever they're doing next.

itsgettingweird Mon 10-Aug-20 21:26:57

Yes but that wasn't what was said.

It was said that students would have the grade teachers predicted they would achieve and if they felt it wasn't correct they couldn't appeal but could retake.

This is a really bad idea if it's true.

It's going to completely widen the gap between rich and poor (again!).

I'd said to ds from the off that any exams he didn't get at least his predicted (his mocks results were higher marks than his predicted across the board)
He could retake.

There was absolutely no mention at the time the re run of the exams would be at a cost to students.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in