Talk

Advanced search

Teach myself maths and stats A level - help?!

(9 Posts)
Random63638 Sat 27-Jun-20 09:12:00

Hello, I've recently returned to education after a 15 year hiatus to tackle a PhD that includes data analysis. There are various classes I can take at uni but I always feel I'm missing some fundamentals, and quite honestly the quality of 'teaching' is variable plus I doubt they ever came across anyone of my calibre (as in utterly useless). I never did maths a level (did intermediate paper GCSE) and I'd like to try and catch up now.

Can anyone recommend a set of books (has to be books, I cannot learn online) that has exercises, practice questions and worked answers please? Obviously i don't mind if it's current syllabus or which exam board but there needs to be a heavy statistics focus because that's the part I really need. I'm not daft so I think I can do this, it's just an unfortunate glaring hole in my education. We have a support group at uni so I can get occasional tutoring if I get stuck.

Any advice on some books to get to guide me through would be most appreciated. Bonus if they are slightly outdated and available cheaply second hand. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Sat 27-Jun-20 15:16:36

Not sure which areas of stats you’re having issues with but these are pretty clear and cheap!

Do you want ones on pure maths too?

noblegiraffe Sat 27-Jun-20 15:18:56

The answers aren’t worked though.

BUT if you go to www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-statistics-1/

And www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-statistics-2/ there are questions with fully worked solutions.

Selfcarequeereyestyle Sat 27-Jun-20 19:10:54

I really rate the CGP online a level books. Also TLMaths on YouTube.
Good luck!

Mumto2two Sat 27-Jun-20 23:45:54

I studied A level pure & stats in the early 80s...the only girl studying maths in a deprived inner city school. Having realised really quickly, that the supply teacher hastily provided (with very basic english!) was less mathematically knowledgable than her student, I found Bostock & Chandler to be an absolute lifesaver. Not a spoon-feed text book, but really great if you have good grounding. Good luck!

lanthanum Sun 28-Jun-20 00:19:23

If you can locate secondhand copies of the texts for the Open University's "Introducing statistics" module (M140), that might be just the ticket - doesn't assume you know anything beyond the basics, and written for distance-learners, so very thorough. There are usually sets of the materials being sold on; there are a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to reselling OU materials, or try universitybooksearch.co.uk.

Random63638 Sun 28-Jun-20 01:08:30

Thanks all will.look into those suggestions. At the moment the statistics part is what is really essential for my research, so I can write convincingly and justify my methodology over and above 'its what everyone uses'. Pure maths sounds like hell on a plate but who knows, I might develop a a passion I never knew I had.

Random63638 Sun 28-Jun-20 01:13:30

I apparently have a specific learning disorder, akin to dyslexia but not quite that. I don't believe in dyspraxic as I can do sums and understand the concept of numbers generally but that's a different test which I haven't gone through. I find paper easier to follow than a screen, something I can press my finger to. I often look at maths and my eyes literally cross.

erinaceus Sun 28-Jun-20 08:47:23

Depending on your field and what it is that you need, to get started I like Statistics at Square One. There is a sequel, Statistics at Square Two.

Another suggestion is that some universities’ statistics departments run a consulting service for graduate students and they might be able to support you with the data analysis for your research, this is worth looking into.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »