Talk

Advanced search

Schools with small classes in the South

(17 Posts)
searching4schools Wed 24-Jun-20 18:48:46

Hi, I'm looking for a calm independent school with class sizes of max 12-15 suitable for an able year 7 child with Anxiety/ASD/Dyslexia. Ideally up to year 11/13 but will consider a prep. Needs to be within an hour of Bournemouth/Poole or weekly boarding within a couple of hours. Mainstream or SEN schools considered.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Bluezoo123 Fri 26-Jun-20 00:44:57

I would look at Moyles Court

searching4schools Fri 26-Jun-20 07:18:13

Thank you.
I'll call them again, but we rang last year and they said they had 19 in year 6 with a max of 20 which was too big. Perhaps they split the classes in the senior section? You think their classes are as small as 12-15?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 26-Jun-20 07:24:55

I think in mainstream you will struggle, 19-20 in a maths/English classes is the bare minimum to be financially viable. Yes no core subjects have fewer students at GCSE, but even those are being cut if the school a repeatably having loss making years.

TeenPlusTwenties Fri 26-Jun-20 08:22:13

No idea of class sizes, but have you looked at Hampshire Collegiate School?

GlennRheeismyfavourite Fri 26-Jun-20 08:50:19

Again - I'd also say you need to think about the viability of the school - in the current climate small private's with the class sizes you're talking about are at risk of going under at the moment. We're really lucky that my school is still thriving 🤞don't discount slightly larger schools. We might have tutor groups of 22-24 and a few subjects are taught in that size group but then when the girls divide off for maths etc bottom set are substantially smaller. Also yr 7-8 classes tend to be bigger but sets get smaller as you move up. Eg I think our year 11 top set maths in 24 but set 5 is 6. Schools can be incredibly nurturing without being tiny.

xingowner Fri 26-Jun-20 15:15:24

Do have a look at Knighton House School near Blandford. 45 mins from Bournemout. It is girls only in the prep school, not sure if this is something that you are looking for. Small classes, flexi boarding and weekly - normally, Covid 19 aside.
Excellent ISI reports.

reefedsail Fri 26-Jun-20 15:18:42

Clayesmore maybe?

houselikeashed Fri 26-Jun-20 17:49:27

Girl or boy ?
Would you consider Oxford?
If a girl, def look up Wychwood School.

Rivvy Fri 26-Jun-20 18:58:33

Try Farlington near Horsham. Lovely caring school which also acheives academically

Inandoutthedustybluebells Fri 26-Jun-20 22:35:10

Would only be up to yr11, but you could look at Great Ballard, near Chichester. Nice environment, kind, small classes.

SunflowerProsecco Sat 27-Jun-20 22:50:46

https://thekingsschool.org.uk/

searching4schools Sat 04-Jul-20 14:23:41

Some great suggestions, thanks. Yes a girl, so all girls schools worth looking at too.
Yes, wary of viability but we will need around 15 in a class I think rather than around 20, at the moment.

houselikeashed Sat 04-Jul-20 17:14:37

def look up wychwood then.

PettsWoodParadise Sat 04-Jul-20 21:59:26

Farringtons in Chislehurst, Kent London borders, has boarding places and accessible to south coast for visits home. Not the most academic but caters for a variety of needs. Nurturing environment with large grounds.

Floralnomad Sat 04-Jul-20 22:08:19

May be too far but Rochester Independent College have small class sizes and they do have some boarders .

searching4schools Sat 04-Jul-20 22:54:18

Thanks.

Any thoughts on Bruton school for Girls?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »