Talk

Advanced search

Cokethorpe, Oxon

(10 Posts)
Joyfulmummyofone Sat 13-Jun-20 23:27:01

Thinking about Cokethorpe for secondary. Anyone have any insight? My DD is at expected level, bright but definitely not super bright and outgoing but a sensitive personality. Not suited to a competitive environment but does need an academic stretch. Would love to hear views. Fees seem on the higher end. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
11112222 Sat 13-Jun-20 23:51:31

I would rather look at Teddies, Pangbourne, Bradfield personally. Or Bloxham or Sibford to the North.
What attracted you to Cokethorpe?

11112222 Sat 13-Jun-20 23:53:41

Any reason you ruled out Headington, Rye, D'Overbroeks and Cranford House?

Joyfulmummyofone Sun 14-Jun-20 07:42:33

Thank you, some on your list I’m not aware of so I’ll research. When you say you’d prefer the others is that because you’ve heard things not great about Cokethorpe? It was the pastoral care that attracted me and I’ve only heard positive things about how happy the kids are. I haven’t visited Headington so maybe I should explore that. D”oeverbrooks ive heard attracts very wealthy streetwise, but that may be rumour?

11112222 Sun 14-Jun-20 16:49:02

Actually, it's the pastoral aspect that turns me away from Cokethorpe. I think for the money you can do better. Also the facilities I think are better at other schools.
It depends where you live of course, but for me, I would look at Headington and D'OverB for sure. Teddies has a long school day which you may or may not like.
Might be worth looking at Wychwood too - it's a tiny school which again you or may not like, but a really amazing school for the right girl.
Which side of Oxford are you? You need to consider the daily commute, or look into weekly boarding.

Joyfulmummyofone Wed 17-Jun-20 15:31:23

Thank you, I really appreciate this info and it’s prompted deeper research. I’m looking at all your suggestions in Oxford, Wychwood appeals as does Headington. I’ve booked virtual visits. I’m intrigued that the pastoral turns you off Cokethorpe. Do you mean it’s “too much” and not enough stretch?

Newme2016 Wed 17-Jun-20 15:58:34

Hi,

It would say Wychwood seems a perfect fit from your description. I am a parent of a Wychwood girl who sounds very similar to your daughter. Wychwood really has brought out the best in her and now she aiming very high.

If you would like to ask me any questions please feel free to PM me.

11112222 Wed 17-Jun-20 18:16:03

Waves at Newme2016
I have a girl at WW too! Absolutely love the school!

joyfulmummyofone
Well, it's only my opinion, but I think bullying is not dealt with well, and not high enough up on the school's agenda. It just seems a bit too 'streetwise' and cool, partying, type of culture of the kids there. Not really suited for my dc. I'm sure manny people are happy there though.

Likewise, you can pm me about Wychwood. We are totally happy there. It's a gem of a school for the right girl.

Newme2016 Wed 17-Jun-20 22:08:25

11112222 waves back to you, so funny - it’s a small world.

Glad you love the school too, we wouldn’t be anywhere else!

WhyAmIPayingFees Fri 19-Jun-20 18:08:22

OP, where are you geographically and what are your DD’s interests? Sports, music, art, drama, what outside curriculum? Travel into and around Oxford is a big issue.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in