Talk

Advanced search

Good independent school for a dyslexic child

(10 Posts)
user1473775095 Tue 02-Jun-20 17:59:13

Hi, our daughter is in yr 5 and we are looking for an independent girls secondary school for her with good dyslexia support in the Hampshire/Surrey area. She is pretty bright but the attention span of a flea, quite sporty, very sociable. Am trying to find somewhere she will thrive rather than constantly feel as though she is catching up. Any recommendations welcome!

OP’s posts: |
Br1ll1ant Tue 02-Jun-20 19:22:06

Moon Hall in Reigate is great but I’m not sure if that would be too far?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Jun-20 19:30:18

Do you want day or boarding are you prepared to move for a day school or do you need close to your current location?

user1473775095 Wed 03-Jun-20 09:54:08

Thanks for your responses. Moon Hall only goes up to 11 I believe. We are looking for a day school ideally. Whilst being very bubbly and social, her academic confidence is pretty low so I would rather a day school where she could come back and relax in the evenings.

Br1ll1ant Wed 03-Jun-20 10:32:05

Moon Hall is definitely secondary!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Jun-20 12:53:33

If you are prepared to move I would suggest St Gabriel's in Newbury it doesn't have the best sports facilities, but for girls with specific learning difficulties it is excellent. Super SENCO really responsive staff, my bright girl with a visual processing disorders on pure grades should have been set one material, but she felt slow and was unhappy there - response a move to set 2 and she thrived being towards to the top of that set. Her nemesis English we moved from barely a 3 at SATS to hopefully 7/8 lit/Lang at GCSE and a love of literature.

Ohwiseone Wed 03-Jun-20 12:57:27

If you are looking at boarding, then I’d recommend Frewen College
www.frewencollege.co.uk.
My friends daughter has excelled there.

user1473775095 Wed 03-Jun-20 22:57:34

Ahh..only knew of Moon Hall, Dorking. Didn't realise there was a senior in Reigate but as you say, possibly a bit far. Does anyone know anything of Priorsfield? Keen to hear more on Duke of Kent also.

Lara53 Thu 04-Jun-20 14:42:23

Priorsfield is a lovely school. My school is one of the local independents that feed PF. The girls that I have taught, with dyslexia, are extremely well supported during and after the transition. The SENCo is very good.

user1473775095 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:53:48

Thank you Lara 53. That is good to hear.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in