Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd is now half hour late ....what do i do??

(21 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 20-Sep-07 16:32:07

She started high school 3 weeks ago, and gets the school bus home. She's always back by 3.55, 4pm at latest.

No sign of her, do I go out looking, but this would leave no-one in the house, phone school or what?? I have been here since 3.15 so they couldve phoned if anything had happened

fingerwoman Thu 20-Sep-07 16:33:49

I would phone the school and make sure the bus came and collected them,
then phone bus company.
then erm, I have no idea- hope she turns up soon though

Mercy Thu 20-Sep-07 16:34:40

Ok, phone the school first. They may be able to contact the bus driver - they may be stuck in traffic.

Do you have the phone nos of any other parents?

MegaLegs Thu 20-Sep-07 16:34:45

Def phone school first. Do you have any numbers for her friends?

tigerschick Thu 20-Sep-07 16:35:30

Definately phone the school, lots of things could have happened.

KTeePee Thu 20-Sep-07 16:36:07

Do you know of any other kids on the same bus who have a mobile that you could contact?

Wisteria Thu 20-Sep-07 16:38:21

mosschops - let us know she's ok, it's probably a failure to arrive on part of bus company. happens all the time. I know it's difficult but do try to keep calm.
What everyone else said really - phone school, then bus company, then friends.

Are there any shops on her way home? Might she have dipped in with some friends? Might she have landed in detention??

If you need to look for her, leave a note on the door for her, or alert a neighbour to look out for her.

MegaLegs Thu 20-Sep-07 17:15:04

Any news mosschops?

mosschops30 Thu 20-Sep-07 17:22:32

shes home, will post on another thread, do they have one for nervous breakdowns.

Thanks for all your help smile

MegaLegs Thu 20-Sep-07 17:23:07

Oh thank goodness, glad she's safe.

Wisteria Thu 20-Sep-07 17:27:05

Glad she's ok Mosschops - they are sent to try us you know, didn't you ever wonder why Mum's go grey!!?

Mercy Thu 20-Sep-07 17:28:48

Phew!

tigerschick Thu 20-Sep-07 17:45:36

Oh, phew!
Glad she is OK.

MummyPenguin Thu 20-Sep-07 18:08:49

Mosschops, do get your DD a mobile. I know some schools don't allow them, but could she hide it in her bag only to be used on the way home when she's safely away from school? My DD also started secondary at the same time as yours, her school allows mobiles to be used as long as it's not in lesson time, so break, hometime etc. It's given me such peace of mind.

KTeePee Thu 20-Sep-07 19:05:03

I agree - even if the school doesn't allow them to be used during school hours, they are usually happy to keep them in the office for the children during the day.

christywhisty Thu 20-Sep-07 19:38:37

Agree about the mobile. My DS got lost coming out of the school last week (he is 5 miles away) and we were able to direct him to the train station.

twinsetandpearls Fri 21-Sep-07 00:51:43

I am a head of year 7 and run homework clubs , today we were supposed to finshed around four but it was half past when we did as we were so ivolved in what we were doing, it owuld not surprise me if that is what happened.

I was working in a room where parents could call me and I encourage them to ahve their mobile phones on as I know parents worry whe they have only just started school.

3littlefrogs Fri 21-Sep-07 16:50:20

This happened to me so many times - it is awful while they are still in yr 7 then you gradually get used to it.
Definitely get her a mobile and have a rule that they text you if they change their plans. Less embarrassing to txt than be heard phoning mum.

Work hard at getting a list of their friends and their phone numbers - texting is always better than phoning.

Have the conversation now about the rules for contact, and have rewards for sticking to them and sanctions when they don't. Explain why you need to know where she is - it won't have occurred to her that you would worry.

I take money off my sons' allowance if they make me worry unnecessarily. Money is all they understand.grin

3littlefrogs Fri 21-Sep-07 16:53:08

Also - mobile phones can be tracked by satellite in dire emergency.smile

flamingtoaster Fri 21-Sep-07 17:13:32

Just seen this thread - have been in that situation so know how worried you must have felt. I agree about a mobile - a very basic one that if anyone sees it on the bus there is no temptation to try to steal it.

amicissima Fri 21-Sep-07 23:06:05

If you get your DC a mobile, and at home have a phone that can accept and send texts (SMS), for example, your DC can subtly text your home number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now