Talk

Advanced search

Urgh I hate the 6 weeks holiday at the best of times with teenagers, but this year!!

(6 Posts)
worldsworststepfordwife Wed 29-Apr-20 07:31:51

Once they’re past the age of playing outside, parks picnics swimming etc. Instead it’s not getting up till lunchtime then I make suggestions and get “what do I want do I want to go there for?” I end up stuck in the house so much because of them.

I feel sick to my stomach as reality just hit me that it’s only weeks away

OP’s posts: |
SnowsInWater Wed 29-Apr-20 09:44:08

It can be hard to make the mental transition from mum of small children to mum of teenagers but it is important at this stage not to get into the role of "provider of entertainment" or "general dogsbody". Too many people here let their children treat them like crap as they get older. Not sure how old your kids are but there came a point where DH and I sat ours down and reestablished expectations, we basically said "right, this household is now comprised of five people who are all capable of pulling their weight" and divvied up jobs between us. There are big gaps between my kids so I often did something with 1-2 of them that the third had no interest in and tried to be fair. What I stopped doing was trying to force them to do things they had no interest in; wait for them to suggest something they want to do to you and you can say yes or no. If they don't want to go out and you do, go. Accept they will be bored sometimes, if they come whining about being bored give them jobs (trust me, that one works really well 😂). Welcome their friends at yours (that way you know where they are). Set one non negotiable time a week where everyone gets together (a meal is probably most fun). I still feel quite nostalgic sometimes about farm visits, soft play etc. but big kids are lots of fun.

Darbs76 Thu 30-Apr-20 21:04:52

I just leave mine to stay at home and go out alone with the dog. Nice to get a bit of peace

azaleanth90 Fri 01-May-20 13:27:55

I can't imagine going on like this til the summer. But on the plus side perhaps (surely?) they will be able to see their friends by then and if they have any social skills left they might be desperate to do so? How old are they? Mine's 14 and already refuses to go anywhere with us so essentially has barely left the house since lockdown. We're going to see a lot of strange teen behaviours over the next few years I think and all we can do is go with the flow and maintain our own sense of fun!

Myownwendyhouse Fri 01-May-20 17:39:36

Mine is 16. And I work for five hours every day. He is basically on his own. He is old enough that when things are relaxed he can go and do what he wants. He is a sensible boy so I trust him. I just want him to go out and see his friends and his girlfriend this summer. He has had medical problems over the last few years. So I always happier when he is out having fun.

station6 Sun 03-May-20 13:15:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in