Talk

Advanced search

Abbey Gate College vs The Grange, Hartford

(5 Posts)
junipertalks Mon 20-Apr-20 17:48:35

After not getting our first choice state secondary school for our daughter, but instead being offered the local 'requires improvement' comp, we are seriously considering making a late application to these two private schools.

We have already visited The Grange on one of their open days and were impressed with their facilities. We have not yet visited Abbey Gate, but hoping to after lockdown ends. Abbey Gate have confirmed they have spaces for Year 7 this September.

Would really like some opinions on the two schools if anyone here sends their kids there. Have scoured Mumsnet and found some previous threads saying how The Grange is good but very academic whereas Abbey Gate seems more nurturing. Is this still the case? The Grange appears to have slightly better facilities but has bigger class sizes if anyone can confirm?

Our daughter is pretty academic, being predicted exceeding expectations in all but one of her SATS where she was borderline. But she can suffer with anxiety, so potentially thinking Abbey Gate would be better suited. She is adamant she doesn't want single sex, so Queens School is out of the question.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
PeaOp Mon 20-Apr-20 19:08:39

Ex-Abbey Gate pupil here and I can confirm that it is a very nurturing school and I loved my time there. The grounds are also beautiful and the facilities much more impressive than when I went. Manages to be academic without being over the top. Music is excellent.

junipertalks Tue 21-Apr-20 08:09:46

Thanks PeaOp. I've not read one negative review of Abbey Gate, all overwhelmingly positive. At the moment, I'm swayed towards Abbey Gate (obviously need to visit it at some point) over The Grange. I especially like the fact that it is smaller. Anyone else have any experience of the two?

stayathomegardener Tue 21-Apr-20 08:23:24

Plenty of ex Grange pupils started at Abbeygate when they got "managed out" as failures at the Grange.
Confidence took a huge knock and parents were devastated.
All gained excellent grades, very talented although possibly a bit left field (in fabulous ways!) and at uni now.

junipertalks Wed 22-Apr-20 16:49:49

Thanks for the replies both. Definitely think Abbey Gate is our best option. Will have to hold tight until lockdown ends and we can view it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in