Talk

Advanced search

Anyone living outside the U.K - iGCSE’s

(5 Posts)
BritAbroadiGCSE2020 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:10:29

NC as need to be reasonable specific.

We live in Asia and my DD is in Y11 at a British school. She has been online learning for 3 weeks, the rest of the school isn’t going back until 20th April after Easter hols but Y11 & 13 are going back in on Monday. All local schools and international schools, attractions, sports events etc are closed/cancelled.

I was completely in support of getting the exam years back in ASAP before the announcement of the scrapping of exams in the U.K. but now think it is grossly unfair to have some students take exams and some not. My DD and others in her year who end up taking exams will for some years have results compared to U.K. students who haven’t sat exams so it is far from a level playing field.

The list of restrictions in order for them to go back on Monday is enough for anyone to see it’s not the right thing to do and I just think it’s playing into the exam boards hands when they say exams will run internationally in schools that are open or where it’s safe to do so. My DD has already been disadvantaged compared to U.K. students by having to online school for 3 weeks and now this.

I wanted to find out if there were other people in the same situation and see what they have been told by their schools or any teachers who work internationally and may have an opinion/insight? If schools are still closed it means there is a bit of time to see what pressure might be applied to exam boards to change this but in our case I really believe that opening school to Y11 on Monday could be a disadvantage to students for many years to come.

I’m fairly astounded at the attitude of the boards when 107 countries currently have country wide school closures and have absolutely no confidence that if exams go ahead that they will apply any special measures to results to account for students who were still learning the syllabus for most subjects when schools closed never mind everything else they have had to wrap their heads around at the moment.

OP’s posts: |
0DimSumMum0 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:36:46

There are a few of us on here who are in the exact same situation and we are as equally frustrated. Check out @swarmasue's thread.
My son has been home learning for 8 weeks now and the schools have just been extended even further beyond the Easter holidays. I feel where you are coming from, I really do.

0DimSumMum0 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:39:02

Supporting IGCSE and IAL pupils still revising http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3855648-supporting-igcse-and-ial-pupils-still-revising

CallarMorvern Sat 21-Mar-20 17:16:03

The Isle of Man is in the same position, some of the GCSEs are the Welsh board, but others are Cambridge iGCSE. The Welsh ones have been cancelled, but no news on iGCSE. My daughter says Cambridge's social media is full of calls to them, to cancel the exams this year.

Whenwilltheybequiet Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:11

My daughter goes to a British school in an Asian country where iGCSE’s will take place too. Luckily my daughter is only in yr 7 and doing online learning with her school. School has been shut for a week now and current plan is to reopen on 20th April. I feel sorry for yr11 and 13. The school had to close with 1day notice and honestly I really don’t think school will be able to reopen on 20th April for the rest of the kids either.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in