Talk

Advanced search

Help! Not sure which school to choose? Whitgift or Trinity?

(8 Posts)
cbryce2 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:52:22

My son did well on both 10+ entrance exams into Whitgift and Trinity and got same offer from both.
My son loves And prefers Whitgift but I feel he’ll do better at Trinity as it’s a much smaller school🤷‍♀️
What are your experiences and which would you recommend please?
TIA

OP’s posts: |
cbryce2 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:55:54

We live in Croydon so travelling to both schools will be same

PiedImperial Tue 18-Feb-20 17:40:49

Congratulations on the offers.

The thing is, you'll get "Whitgift is best" from Whitgift parents, and "Trinity is best" from Trinity parents.

I am firmly Team Trinity, because we all loved the feel of the school, the music is outstanding, the academics and sport are also excellent, our DS are very happy there, and we are very happy with it too.

I think you just have to go with gut instinct, or the one your son prefers if he has a strong preference. Try to revisit both to help you decide?

BrownAjah Tue 18-Feb-20 19:00:31

Just to prove @PiedImperial right, we're Team Whitgift and have accepted DS' 11+ offer for Sept. We have loved it since we first visited and have had some really insightful chats with various staff there about their attitude to sports, academics etc. DS has attended music days, scholarship day etc there and he loves it, loved the teachers, etc.

PiedImperial is dead right - you have to go with your gut, your DS' gut. On the plus side, they are both great schools so you won't go far wrong!

GolfForBrains Tue 18-Feb-20 19:19:39

I don't have a son at either school! However seems to me that your son will do best at the school he wants to go to!

Wobbles21 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:30:41

They are surprisingly different schools . We know people with sons at both and Whitgift has a more traditional feel and a bit more formal. Whitgift has boarders; is more expensive; is much bigger and does IB. Trinity is ,I think, more difficult to get into and does better at Gcse but less formal with less impressive buildings. Also almost half the numbers in each year. They have girls in 6th form and only do A levels.
So if you have a strong feeling re: girls; A levels; formality then it should be a straight forward choice.
We also had scholarships from both and would have been happy with either however my son had stronger feelings for one than the other.

Sailingby Tue 18-Feb-20 19:56:40

I concur with what Wobbles21 says about the two schools.
I believe that Trinity has the edge in terms of music, and Whitgift sport - but both offer really excellent opportunities in both.
My son was wowed by Whitgift but knew he would feel more at home at Trinity. I’m sure he would have been happy at either but when we received offers from both it was always going to be Trinity. Good luck with the decision!

cbryce2 Tue 18-Feb-20 21:24:22

Thank you all for your contribution. They’ve definitely helped

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in