Talk

Advanced search

Marlborough Drug rumours

(6 Posts)
thekidstaxi Fri 17-Jan-20 19:21:36

Hi
I have heard that Marlborough has / had a reputation for having a drug problem within the school. Can anyone shed any light on this and not just what dinner party gossip says! Anyone have any info on how the new master is dealing with teenage issues in general?
I think that sadly in this day & age all schools will have students who will dabble in drugs in all sectors but if Marlborough has a real problem that will help me make my decision.
thanks so much

OP’s posts: |
Dancingdreamer Sat 18-Jan-20 13:50:58

I don’t think it has any greater problem than any other school. I hear about drugs at all schools including our local state and private day schools. There were issues when my DD was there of some DC going home at exeats, having parties and coming back to school suffering from the effects of drugs. If the college thinks there is a problem, they will drug test them. None of my DD’s friends seemed to have any interest in drugs although there may have been groups that did.

thekidstaxi Sun 19-Jan-20 00:29:13

Thanks @Dancingdreamer. Is drug testing at school a thing? That's so good if they do & must be a valid deterrent.
I am realistic & know that some kids will dabble in drugs at weekends & at parties ect at every school, but was concerned that I had heard this rumour from several different sources. However nothing first hand. Thanks

Dancingdreamer Sun 19-Jan-20 19:34:06

Yes they ask all parents to sign a consent form to test for drugs and alcohol if there are any suspicions. DC are allowed to drink in 6th form under supervision (although they always seem to be able to get more then their allowance) but consumption is controlled so no chance of ending up comatose as some of my friend’s day school DC have been at house parties! There is definitely a party set at Marlborough but from experience of other schools, this is not unusual. And compared to what they will encounter at university, anything that goes on at the school is mild in comparison. If you want any further info please PM me.

FredaFrogspawn Sun 19-Jan-20 19:35:55

Jus out of interest, do the girls still wear floor length skirts?

thekidstaxi Sun 19-Jan-20 22:50:45

Thanks @Dancingdreamer it's great to have some first hand knowledge. It's very reassuring to know they will drug/alcohol test them if needed. I can see that many DC will think that will be a risk not worth taking.
@FredaFrogspawn yes long skirts in 6th form I believe. I have heard that when they are running late some girls keep their p.js on underneath! Brilliant in winter! Wish I could keep my pjs on at work 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in