Talk

Advanced search

Gcses

(10 Posts)
Madhatter54792 Fri 17-Jan-20 12:36:31

My daughter is currently picking her gcse options. Her schoolrequures maths english and triple science she has also already decided to do geography history and german. However she is undecided for her last option and cannot pick between rs and computing which would be better for her?

OP’s posts: |
Fifthtimelucky Fri 17-Jan-20 12:49:07

I don't think anyone can possibly say without knowing your daughter and her abilities, interests and aspirations.

She's got a strong set already. Either RS or computing would be absolutely fine.

TeenPlusTwenties Fri 17-Jan-20 12:51:53

Agree, let her look at which both entails, and her skills and interests, and pick the one she likes the look of most.

Madhatter54792 Fri 17-Jan-20 12:55:38

She is doing really well at both but enjoys computing more. Her biggest concern is the difficulty as lots of her friends have said it's really hard.

OP’s posts: |
Cookiedough123 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:03:01

Computing teacher here 🙋‍♀️ I teach OCR and yes it is hard but if she is good at retaining information and she revises she will get what she deserves out of it. I'm guessing RS is religious studies? In my school it involves 3 exams one of which is quite heavily based on essay writing. She needs to find out how many exams there are and what type of exams they will be. Then she can decide based on her strengths and weaknesses.

RedskyAtnight Fri 17-Jan-20 13:07:36

Depends on her whether she finds it difficult!

My DS is taking both and has found computer science much easier, but then he is not a fan of writing great long essays discussing things.

Not proof I know, but the computer science syllabus was also finished way before the religious studies syllabus (actually he's in Y11 and haven't finished RE yet) which suggests less content to learn to me. With geography and history in her list of choices, there's already a lot of content heavy subjects in there.

If she enjoys computing more I'd go for that. The students in DS's group that are struggling are the ones that picked it because they thought it would be a soft option and involve lots of playing about with the computers.

Hadmatter54792 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:45:08

Should take art and PE instead of history and one of them two rubbish ones

AuntieUrsula Mon 06-Apr-20 14:54:19

Maybe computing would give a better spread? She's already got two humanities there with the history and geography.

HugoSpritz Tue 07-Apr-20 12:21:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Decorhate Tue 07-Apr-20 13:27:24

My ds was doing Computer Science GCSE until the lockdown. It is definitely his weakest subject but a long distance (generally gets 4s as opposed to 6-9 in other subjects) but whether that is down to his ability, attitude or the teaching I don’t know. I think your mind has to work in a certain way to be good at the programming part. He is vv good at Maths but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in