Talk

Advanced search

Page 7 | Reeds 11+

(169 Posts)
ticking Thu 09-Jan-20 06:23:14

Anyone's DS take the 11+ at Reeds on Tuesday? I would be nice to know when people start hearing results! I know on the letter it says results posted on 30th, but I'm fairly sure we heard earlier than that when our eldest took the test!

OP’s posts: |
Surbitonlady Sat 01-Feb-20 00:35:22

Hi. Yes we heard today. Got lucky with a music award. Hope everyone’s DS are ok. What a rubbish process.

jor456 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:55:28

I agree awful process. My DS managed an offer with a sports award. Competition was the highest they have ever seen. I love the school but my DS thinks he wants co-ed...😬

trinity0097 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:48:33

It was much more competitive this year. You really needed a CATS score of at least 125 to get an place, possibly in the 130s for an 11+ place.

Jbliwecd1 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:41:00

With respect to the CAT4 scores... Does anyone know how it works...? Do primary/prep schools inform to target secondary schools each candidate’s CAT4 score? And do target secondary schools take these into consideration...? Thank you!

AtomicRabbit Sun 02-Feb-20 19:56:14

Yes @Jbliwecd1 I'd like to know the same. DS started at private prep and now worried his CAT score will be taken into account for private school choices and send to admissions.

Other DC went from state to private secondary and no CAT scores involved.

arpo Mon 03-Feb-20 09:04:34

@trinity0097 is a CATS test what the boys sat on the entrance exams day at Reeds?

Yey22 Mon 03-Feb-20 09:37:49

CATs scores are from VR and NVR tests so if this was part of the entrance exam they will have a CAT scores. If primary/prep school have a child’s CAT (not all schools will) they will put it on the reference.

arpo Mon 03-Feb-20 10:15:26

@yey22 thanks

Jbliwecd1 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:41:39

Hi yey22! Thank you for the clarification. DS has a mean CAT4 of 133. It’s very good and I’m very proud, although it’s certainly borderline/lower end of the spectrum for the super selectives. I guess will do neither good nor harm if included in DS’s prep school reference letter. Will probably all hang on how cohort performs in general and performance at interviews... Thank you again!

trinity0097 Mon 03-Feb-20 19:44:15

Any standardised score, e.g. CATS or GL Progress tests, InCAS etc would get put on a reference by an independent prep to a senior school. The senior school may redo tests, or elements of, but it’s all part of the decision making process when they have hundreds and hundreds of applicants.

What has come across loud and clear this year from senior schools is that outside of school extra-curriculars are not nearly as important as what a child does in school, I.e. they want to take on pupils that will actively engage with what the school offers.

Pyrfwondering Tue 04-Feb-20 13:07:05

@trinity0097, how do you know that secondary schools have not placed much importance on outside school activities? have you had direct feedback?

trinity0097 Wed 05-Feb-20 19:09:40

Yes, they value them, but they seem to be more interested in how much a child will involve them self in school life. My head has been talking to many admissions departments/heads in our area.

paranoidmum123 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:12:16

Has anyone heard from Reeds today regarding the 13+ entries? I believe they were posted yesterday.

mrsbobble Sun 09-Feb-20 08:39:46

@paranoidmum123 we got our Reeds 13+ letter on Thursday.

Surbitonlady Sun 09-Feb-20 11:27:38

Hi. Does anyone on here know which school is better for rugby/cricket - Epsom, Reeds or St J?
Also glancing though seems like they are all the same academically. Would you guys agree?
Thanks for any insight.

Frostyskies1223 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:54:46

@Surbitonlady , Reeds won TES IS Awards 2020 Sports Award on Friday night in London, you can find all the results on Twitter. If nothing else it means the sports budget at the school will be protected / enhanced.
My ds had offers from Epsom & St J's a few years ago & I agree they are similar, I would go for shorter journey due to long day / Saturday school.

Jane360 Sun 09-Feb-20 13:26:46

@Surbitonlady, Epsom stronger at rugby (major focus). Other than that they all play on the same circuit, run A-Z teams, see sport as being important for development. There is no difference apart from Reeds is just hockey, Epsom/St J football. Academically, Epsom historically get the stronger results. So co-ed v boys, location, flexiboarding etc

Surbitonlady Sun 09-Feb-20 23:17:15

Thanks for the thoughts. Any others are welcome.

pizzaboy27 Mon 10-Feb-20 06:11:22

If you have offers for all 3 go to the offer holder mornings. I think they are very different in atmosphere. The heads are very different and the head is an important factor for me, they set the tone of the school.

Academically I think they are very similar to me Epsom seemed more pushy academically but that wouldn't suit my son as he doesn't need the additional stress.

No football at Reeds which some love and others would miss.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in