Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Reeds 11+

(169 Posts)
ticking Thu 09-Jan-20 06:23:14

Anyone's DS take the 11+ at Reeds on Tuesday? I would be nice to know when people start hearing results! I know on the letter it says results posted on 30th, but I'm fairly sure we heard earlier than that when our eldest took the test!

OP’s posts: |
Fernandes32 Wed 15-Jan-20 13:53:15

Yes we took the Reeds exam last week, plus St Georges and have St Johns tomorrow….the wait is awful...

Mumintherain Thu 16-Jan-20 13:31:44

Does anyone know how many places they offer at 11+?

somekindofmagic Fri 17-Jan-20 08:15:48

I’m afraid not. It’s such a numbers game! It must be an arduous process for all the schools. But it’s well known that every school has to over offer... by how much is anyone’s guess though. It does make the odds a little better though!

Has anyone heard anything for scholarship interviews? It’s nice to dream 😉

Surbitonlady Fri 17-Jan-20 09:19:19

No we haven’t ;-).

I think this year is hard for boys. Seems like there are more of them. Or everyone is sitting more exams.

Mumintherain Fri 17-Jan-20 09:26:43

I read on a older post that last year there was 350 boys sitting for 60 places at 11+ And that was record breaking! So I really hope the 600 sitting this year includes the 13+ as well! Otherwise 600 sat for 60 places! 😳

Mumintherain Fri 17-Jan-20 09:30:12

I think I read somewhere that academic scholarship candidate will hear on the 23de jan? Or was it that they will be involvited to a extra interview on the 23..?

somekindofmagic Fri 17-Jan-20 09:36:47

That’s right... skol interviews are on 23rd Jan. I think you’re right that 13+ were sitting last week too so hopefully that makes it feel better!

Frazzledmumofboys Fri 17-Jan-20 16:02:32

Slightly in shock by the 600 applicants figure - eek! Out of interest (sorry, slightly off topic!), I am guessing a few of those who sat Reeds may well have sat St John’s this week as well. Does anyone know how many applied for St John’s? It was spread over 4 days I think so numbers hard to tell and was wondering if anyone asked? Thanks.

ticking Fri 17-Jan-20 16:19:03

Anyone waiting for Claremont? - we just got a "No"....by e-mail shock

Average Cat score for DS is 124.

ticking Fri 17-Jan-20 16:25:11

@BooRadley7 @somekindofmagic

Claremont e-mails yes / no coming through.....

somekindofmagic Fri 17-Jan-20 16:30:57

Thx @ticking. So sorry it was a no. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about CAT scores. You’re waiting on Reeds too right? And have you other options? Hang in there.

We were lucky to get an interview. Good luck to al.

BooRadley7 Fri 17-Jan-20 16:33:24

@ticking we got an invitation to an interview on Monday for CFC, so very relieved. Nothing yet from both Reed’s and RGS. Really feel for you! It is scary how many applicants sat at all the schools... I mean 600 for 60 places.... so

Mumintherain Fri 17-Jan-20 16:35:45

So sorry ticking... I know it’s only 20 places and coed at Claremont but still.. don’t know cat scores either..

ticking Fri 17-Jan-20 19:18:27

CAT - it's a standardised cognitive test score, so 100 is bang on average for the age - i.e 50% of kids score above that score and 50% below

I forget now all the details but 124 is about top 5% for the age group.

Hampton I know are looking at average 136+ which is top 3% of kids of that age.

(disclaimer - DS does have dyslexia)

somekindofmagic Fri 17-Jan-20 19:37:12

Thx for that info ticking. Are CAT scores given at prep school? As far as I know we aren’t given them at state primary. But I understand your possible frustration with seemingly above average scores not yielding you the results you would hope.

logfire2020 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:19:11

So sorry Ticking on Claremont, hopefully there are other options?

fwiw DS also has dyslexia and is young in the year, so I guess immature which means all CAT/COG /exam scores can be rather erratic based on the exam itself and also how they handle any test at aged 10! . Either they read and attempt the question right or they don't . They also handle pressure and exam instructions differently (and if dyslexic at age 10 .. instructions are the sticking point) .... all of which influences how they do on a specific test.

As an example DS sat a school with an online assessment. First thing he said when he came out 'I messed up' .. me 'why?' DS ' well it was NVR which I love (he's always scored 100% on the tests we've done ) and everything was going well... but then the timer said you haven't got any time left... so I guessed as many questions as I could in that time (suspect 1 minute left and around 20 questions quickly guessed grin grin) Then he said "it was adaptive wasn't it... I messed up..... as the last question I saw was ridiculously easy....." He's 10, it happens and bizarrely he realised he messed up on a test on something he is great at!!

We avoided applying to any school that focuses too much on who has scored the highest or has the highest cog score at their very young age...it means nothing and just places undue pressure when they should be playing and discovering. All it proves is who has been tutored more etc at the expense of other things.

It might be the school just isn't right for your DS and there will be one which is.

BooRadley7 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:40:33

Couldn’t agree more @logfire2020

This whole process has almost become like a nuclear arms race... Call it an 11+ arms race!

Brutal is all I can say coming from a state school😩

Time for a stiff G&T 😁

somekindofmagic Mon 20-Jan-20 09:11:06

Anyone with scholarship interview invites as yet?! I’m with pp... stiff drinks required! Although it is only 9am right now 😂

Surbitonlady Mon 20-Jan-20 09:12:06

Ticking 124 is a great CAT score, and from my understanding would be high for most Claremont students. Did they put you on a waiting list? I know many who have applied to Claremont who have interviews and it is not their 1st choice.

Surbitonlady Mon 20-Jan-20 09:13:03

If it’s your first choice, maybe call, let them know and ask to go on the wait list - tell them his CAT score, as this will show he must have just had a really bad day.

Surbitonlady Mon 20-Jan-20 09:14:34

My sons at St Johns sports assessment today - over 100 just for that...

jor456 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:15:29

124 is a great score, I would definitely call them and ask for feedback. We did the St Johns assessment last Wednesday and it seemed very busy. Im guessing their numbers will be even higher than Reeds due to the girls sitting as well.
Definitely in agreement it has become a nuclear arms race at the expense of the boys. Something needs to change but guessing that is wishful thinking...

ticking Mon 20-Jan-20 12:27:00

@Surbitonlady No waiting list - it was a outright no. I've had a conversation with a good friend who put her DS in 3 years ago, also with dyslexia and got the same result - her view is that "they don't take any SN/Dyslexic kids, don't bother"

ticking Mon 20-Jan-20 12:29:36

@jor456 That's the thing - with CAT 124 he should have a good shot at Reeds, a no from Claremont is odd to say the least! But he could have had a "Bad Day" or anything.

jor456 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:41:56

My friend’s son is at Claremont with very mild dyslexia. He is in year 8 now and thriving. I’m beginning to feel like there are no longer any ‘banker’ schools....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in