Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Hampton 11+

(368 Posts)
mummy2aPrince09 Mon 06-Jan-20 14:45:48

Calling all parents who’s ds sat the 11+ today... ds said maths was super hard and not the usual questions, he said he couldn’t finish the paper. Wondering if it was the case for the majority or he just had a bad day...

OP’s posts: |
lifeisnotagame Thu 09-Jan-20 07:02:46

*also long shots grin

silverstorms Thu 09-Jan-20 08:39:47

It’s been a while now (5 or 6 years) so things may well have changed, but when my DS was called to interview, all the boys who had applied from his school were contacted on the same day. So interview letters were sent out in blocks. Then he had the same interview slot with the 5 or 6 others from his school. We all (boys and parents) had a talk / Q&A session from the head in his office, then they went off for individual interviews.

They were all offered places, but I think only two took them up. It’s a fantastic school, but many apply from more Central London locations (because they’re are so few boys options at 11 plus), but ultimately decide to take other schools eg Latymer Upper, CLBS or KCS (now that this has a larger 11 plus entry) - in order to avoid being tied to the coach journey for years on end!

None of them got scholarship offers though, so I don’t know how that works.

The other thing I do remember is that DS had a handwritten Christmas card from the head before the exams, wishing him the best of luck. No other school does this!

In the interview, he was asked what his parents did (confused), so do make sure they know this! Also, they were asked, “What do you think makes a good lesson?” I do remember this because DS gave a quite “interesting” answer to that one. Another of his friends was asked, “What will you bring to the school?” and he answered “My sports kit and pencil case.” grin Anyway, they must have a sense of humour because both were offered places, through they went elsewhere in the end.

Good luck!!!

ripple11 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:01:07

@silverstorms thanks for that feedback.
The travelling distance is a good point why all offers aren't taken up for such a great school.
Yes the head still sends the hand written good luck card! (the only school).

lifeisnotagame Thu 09-Jan-20 19:19:15

Evening all.

Hoping some news will come though tomorrow as need to make arrangements if DS were to get an interview as they start next Friday!

Please keep us all posted if anyone hears anything.

Thank you

Frostyskies1223 Thu 09-Jan-20 20:13:43

I think its very unlikely you will hear anything until mid next week. The no to interview letters go out at same time so it's a massive mail out.

lifeisnotagame Thu 09-Jan-20 20:56:37

Thanks for replying.

Really. With potentially a couple of days notice for interview?? Did the boy you expected to get a scholarship call today get one?

lifeisnotagame Thu 09-Jan-20 20:57:09

I mean, did he get one today?

Frostyskies1223 Thu 09-Jan-20 21:34:39

@lifeisnotagame , I haven't heard from the parent re possible scholarship ds.
Re the interviews, I will PM you.

Isitreallyworthit23 Thu 09-Jan-20 22:23:24

What’s the best way to prep for an interview?

Frostyskies1223 Thu 09-Jan-20 22:27:44

@Isitreallyworthit23 , there is nothing to prep, if your ds gets to iv stage you are half way there, the interview is to find out more about the ds and what makes him tick, it's a general chat as per other schools like KGS.

Contessa28 Fri 10-Jan-20 08:28:55

just wanted to say good luck to all! DS is at Hampton and loves it. Head and teachers great, DS very happy with lovely friends, would not hesitate to recommend it! FYI he was given a general interview and was very relaxed... was also asked to comment on what he thought about a picture in case that helps!

MGMidget Fri 10-Jan-20 08:57:45

We have had a call-back but for 12+ and I think these interviews are first. Only one full working day’s notice plus the weekend. Good luck to everyone.

lifeisnotagame Fri 10-Jan-20 09:28:55

Thanks MC

lifeisnotagame Fri 10-Jan-20 09:29:29

MG. specs not on 😉

rakushka04 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:02:20

Maybe a wrong thread but can't find the correct one, has anyone heard about 13+? Any scholarship invites?

Ptarmigan68 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:09:27

Good luck MG. Out of interest any idea how many sat for 12+?

Rakushka04 - I think it will be next week bf you hear about 13+.

We went through 11+ last year, e mails about interview came just bf 6pm.

Good luck everyone it is a very stressful time and we shall be going through it again with our second son next year...

MGMidget Fri 10-Jan-20 11:31:34

They estimated there would be about 100 sitting the 12+ prior to the exam. This is for 13+ entry in 2021.

lifeisnotagame Fri 10-Jan-20 11:31:57

Thanks Ptarmigan58

So before 6pm today for 11+?

Ptarmigan68 Fri 10-Jan-20 13:08:54

It took 11 days for us to hear last year and the e-mail came just before 6. So do not despair if you don't hear till next week. Our son is loving Hampton first year. Good luck!

silverstorms Fri 10-Jan-20 13:26:26

God, just reading this reminds me of the wait for the SPGS interviews <shudder> In that case, the recall emails were sent out alphabetically, by one woman in one day. 200 emails. So those whose surnames began with “W” had given up by 6pm - but then it came.

I don’t know why they don’t just give parents a given day or time. Do they not realise that the uncertainly as to how / when you hear just adds to a process that’s stressful enough as it is?

summerissooncoming Fri 10-Jan-20 14:33:34

Hello All,

We are waiting for the interview email too. My DS is unfazed, but I am so tensed. Hope to get the interview email.

ripple11 Fri 10-Jan-20 14:50:17

@silverstorms ..... oh my god, we sat SPS and our surname is Zzaman.
I go to bed at 10pm wink

Mumintherain Sat 11-Jan-20 13:06:12

We are also waiting for interview letters. 🤞🤞🤞

SW153kids Sat 11-Jan-20 14:19:45

Has anyone heard on scholarship interviews yet? I’m not really expecting it, but would nonetheless like to know those calls have been made so I can stop jumping every time my phone rings!!

summerissooncoming Sat 11-Jan-20 15:22:45

@SW135kids we are not expecting scholarship but will be nice to get just the interview email. I haven't heard anyone get in my group. Will be nice to know if anyone on here got it. Whatever be the outcome all the boys who went through it are winners and well done for all the hard work 👍.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in