Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work experience for year 10 .Thinking of letting her to America into a school.Anyone else let dc go abroad for work exp.

(10 Posts)
fakeblonde Fri 24-Aug-07 23:51:43

DD1 is doing her work experience next year.
She mentioned to me that she didn`t want to doing anything "boring ", so i asked her if she wanted to go stay with our lifelong friend Marilyn in America.
She is a teacher over there and dd wants to be a teacher.
The school in USA are happy and she will be with our friend every day.
Haven`t approached dd1s school as yet.I know insurance will be the big issue, but just wondering if anyone else has organised work experience for dc abroad and if so where ?
BTW she will be fine with actually going on her own as she has sailed most of europe with grandparents and is accustomed to flying ect.
Cheers

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 23:59:54

I did a US exchange when I was 16 but it wasn't work experience. Will she be allowed to fly to the states at that age on her own?

littlemissbossy Sat 25-Aug-07 00:01:26

BTW do the school encourage work experience placements abroad? would they have any objection? although it's a great idea if you organise this IMO

fakeblonde Sat 25-Aug-07 00:02:55

Yes she will be able to fly unacompanied no prob.I went on an exchange when i was 16 too.Oh the joys - had a fab time and never forgot it.

fakeblonde Sat 25-Aug-07 00:03:59

No they dont encourage it.She might not even be able to go-but i will ask.

littlemissbossy Sat 25-Aug-07 00:05:12

I'd ask, I can understand the potential insurance problems, but it's a great opportunity. If not, can I go in her place?grin

mrsmike Sat 25-Aug-07 00:24:44

My friend's son has just done yr 10 work experience in a fashion house in New York for 2 weeks. Don't think she had any problems re insurance, can ask her if you like? he had a fab time smile

fakeblonde Sat 25-Aug-07 10:55:06

Mrs mike-could you really ask her for me.That would be great.x

mrsmike Sat 25-Aug-07 12:25:15

Hi, just asked friend about it - the school here agreed to look upon the 2 weeks as a holiday rather than work experience otherwise they would not have been able to authorise it for health & safety & insurance etc. Her son just had normal travel & health insurance. The company in New York turned a bit of a blind eye to him being there I think shock, or at least it wasn't totally official, helped by the fact that his aunt works there and he was with her every day. But all went v well and highly recommended smile

scienceteacher Sat 25-Aug-07 17:04:48

It sounds very complicated, tbh. I would worry a bit about the visa situation too - if she is 'working' (even for no pay) she would be in conflict with her status in the US.

How about just doing 'boring' work experience, and then going to the US during her holidays for what she feels is more glamorous (not!). US schools tend to return mid August, so there is a good overlap with their term time and our holidays. Another option is the October half-term, which is generally a woderful time to go to the US.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now