Talk

Advanced search

Electric Dictionary German/English

(6 Posts)
magnaconcordia Mon 09-Dec-19 12:45:20

It's for DS (Y8) who's been learning German just over one year now. I like to get something useful for school work as part of this year's Christmas gifts. He doesn't have one so uses school's when he works at school and iPad when he reviews at home. He may continue to study beyond GCSE so something good for A-level would be better? Any recommendations please?

OP’s posts: |
PenOrPencil Mon 09-Dec-19 19:41:33

There are very good, free online dictionaries that he can use on his iPad like wordreference or Leo.

I would get a massive paper dictionary like this or maybe his favourite book in German?

Prokupatuscrakedatus Tue 10-Dec-19 22:05:19

We used the "dict" app.
DD used it for Geman <-> English and German <-> Russian at school.

magnaconcordia Sun 15-Dec-19 21:24:48

Thank you for your suggestions. Apps are great but I prefer something he can use without iPad/iPhone.

I bought this in the end.
Casio Electronic Translator

Hope it's good and worth the money...

magnaconcordia Sun 15-Dec-19 21:27:02

I did consider a paper dictionary though...

clary Sun 15-Dec-19 23:36:56

Rather belatedly I am posting here to recommend a really good paper dictionary - the biggest Collins one you can find, like the one linked to by a PP.

I have never heard of anyone using an electronic dictionary, apart obviously from internet dictionaries - agree with using wordreference and leo,org. Google Translate is useful but be careful about using it for sentences and phrases.

Why don't you want him to use an online one? £139 seems a lot of money.

As it goes, I find a very big dictionary useful, but also use a smaller one - this kind of thing - pocket dictionary as its i soften easier to find what you are looking for and double check it backwards.

For reference, I was a teacher of MFL and now I tutor.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in