Talk

Advanced search

GCSE WWI documentaries etc

(3 Posts)
Cowslipsandprimroses Fri 29-Nov-19 08:22:01

Hi, can anyone recommend any good documentaries, YouTube videos, even podcasts, which would help bring alive the WW1 GCSE syllabus? My DS is really struggling with motivation. He has asperger's and is finding it incredibly hard to engage with the subject, but I think good documentaries might help. But there are a gazillion out there, of variable quality no doubt, so recommendations would really help!

MrsScrubbingbrush Fri 29-Nov-19 08:56:24

I'm not sure if it will help with his GCSE course or not but Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) produced some WW1 footage called "They shall grow not old".

He updated the old black & white film into colour and gave them voices. It's really moving to see them as 'real people' not just old flickering images. I think it's often harder to relate to WW1 footage but this brought them to life for me and my DDs (14).

Cowslipsandprimroses Fri 29-Nov-19 09:35:55

Thanks Mrsscrubbibgbrush, I know of it but my son and I haven't actually got round to watching it yet. Might do that this weekend- good reminder!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »