Talk

Advanced search

ISEB PRE-TEST 2019

(43 Posts)
Ds123 Tue 19-Nov-19 02:43:24

Interested to know how others found the pre-test this year. Lots of the bright kids at Son’s prep school found the VR very difficult. I thought it was supposed to be adaptive so should not have been too difficult. Is that for English and verbal reasoning as well?

jor456 Tue 19-Nov-19 06:56:27

Yes my son sat it yesterday and found it very difficult and nothing like BOFA. Supposed to be adaptive....

Heart3 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:20:55

Same here, My son sat Yesterday and he was hopeless. He said Atom learning was nowhere near.

Whattimedidyouseeherleave Wed 20-Nov-19 00:48:53

I hope you all receive good news in the coming weeks . This won't really help but in case anyone is sitting next year, we used Keystone tests. My son worked his way up to level 10 after which he found the ISEB straight forward.

Pippap1 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:21:11

My twins sat just after the half. They say it's similar with BOFA but overall it was more difficult. They found VR is the easiest and Maths was the hardest for DC1 but English for DC2. I hope everyone will hear good news in a couple of weeks!

topkay Wed 20-Nov-19 17:12:57

My son attends a state school so he sat the test at the independent school he applied to. We used Atom Learning and he did say the questions in the pretest were easier than Atom and that he found some almost exact questions in the Maths (as Atom). He said the Verbal was the easiest followed by Maths.

Banya400 Wed 20-Nov-19 23:36:13

It is my understanding that the ISEB pretest is intelligently (algorithms?) adaptive. So if the child gets a question right they get a harder question, if they get it wrong they get an easier question. So every child gets a different test. Also the results are adjusted up or down for the exact age of the child. So a child that is only just 10 that does as well in the test as a child already 11 would get a better result than the older child.

So the children who found it hard could have done very well and those that found it easy might have not done so well. My children have all done it and found it hard, much harder than the practice ones they sent round and MUCH harder and nothing like the BOFA ones the school had them practice. We never got the results though they just got invited for interviews, so must have passed a base line requirement.

insalaco Thu 21-Nov-19 05:19:43

The impression that I am getting for English at least (and getting there with Maths too) was that it was tough from the very outset, rather than adapting to be tough when you’re hitting harder questions on the algorithm and scoring highly.

Ds123 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:29:04

That is exactly what I heard from my son. He said the questions started really hard and stayed hard. Whereas with maths it was hard but doable.

winteragain Thu 21-Nov-19 09:48:39

Is the pretest they sit in Y6? Which schools is it for?

Ds123 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:53:10

It’s a consortium of schools including St Pauls and the city of London. If you look it up on the ISEB website you can find the list of schools.

winteragain Thu 21-Nov-19 10:57:34

Thought so- thanks. This is all very useful as DS is sitting it in a couple of weeks!

nylon14 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:41:31

Why do they all sit it at different times? The system is a bit odd.

winteragain Thu 21-Nov-19 11:42:35

Depends whether they sit it at a prep school or at the school they are sitting for.

nylon14 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:47:02

But even at the various prep schools, the test is administered on different dates.

insalaco Thu 21-Nov-19 23:07:17

Each child essentially sits a different test as it is adaptive and results are determined by performance and age.

Michaelahpurple Fri 22-Nov-19 09:12:22

And some take it in year 6 and some in year 7

Michaelahpurple Fri 22-Nov-19 09:13:18

But the year my son took it, a friend did a week alter and they had the same english comp text so I don't think that one changes as much, as one would expect really

ripple11 Sun 24-Nov-19 16:06:25

My son did ok , but did find some bits very hard.
Looking at the scores, amazing someone scored 193/195.....and every module saw at least one child getting full marks !👏

nylon14 Sun 24-Nov-19 16:25:06

Where did you see the scores? I thought it was out of 145.

ChocolateOrangeIsAFruit Sun 24-Nov-19 16:41:09

My son did it last year - we never found out scores

ripple11 Sun 24-Nov-19 16:51:30

His school sent the website link together with his login details.
As well as his scores/answers to go through, it had averages and highest/lowest scores achieved by those that took it.

ripple11 Sun 24-Nov-19 16:53:32

...this was the practice pre test

trinity0097 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:21:50

You can only find out the scores if you do a subject access request to the senior school. Only do this is you want to annoy them and don’t really want to get in!

Westbournemum Wed 27-Nov-19 19:36:31

You can’t find out the scores for the actual pre-tests unless you contact the senior school/s as Trinity says. Even your current school don’t get to know the scores.

Whilst platforms like Atom Learning / BOFA offer ‘mock’ tests, the actual pre-tests can vary significantly from these. ISEB does not have an official practice platform.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »