Talk

Advanced search

Common Entrance best resources to prepare

(8 Posts)
QuestionTime123 Sat 28-Sep-19 13:33:05

I'd be grateful for recommendation from parents/tutors/teachers whose kids did/ prepare for Common Entrance exams for best resources to prepare for it.

Galore Park have quite a number of options for English and Maths which are more or less the same, or I might be wrong. Which ones (if of course you used them) did your kids/you find more helpful and challenging?

Is it worth buying ISEB CE past papers?

Are there any other great resources apart from Galore Park?

My DS is at the prep and I hope he will be prepared for it. He needs 70% for his secondary school. His maths is good but English needs some improvement.
Many thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
mumofthree321 Sun 29-Sep-19 23:57:28

Galore Park books are brilliant
Have summed up the ones we couldn't have lived without / didn't end up using much:
Geog - revision book, answers and past papers. Also bought the OS maps revision book. Really useful and used loads.
Maths - past papers essential (all follow same format every year so if you practice them and succeed in all the questions on those, you should cruise through the exam - buy the answers!)
English - personally didn't find that useful
French - bought some but didn't really use
Latin - revision book, answer book and past papers. These were all a brilliant help for us.
History - revision book brilliant (didn't find exam papers as useful)
RS - didn't need as our school set own test
smile

mumofthree321 Mon 30-Sep-19 00:41:23

Oops - forgot the sciences
Again, past papers were a massive help in getting used to the style of questions, plus revision books if school notes not great. Papers used mostly though for us.

QuestionTime123 Mon 30-Sep-19 09:06:13

Mumofthree321 Thank you so much! That's really helpful.

Can I just ask what OS maps are?

Lastly, did you buy text books for Geography, Latin, Science etc from Galore Park or just Revision Guides and Practice Questions + Answers?

Many thanks!

mumofthree321 Mon 30-Sep-19 09:27:39

OS maps are ordinance survey maps and it's one of the sections in the geog exam.
Science books we hardly used - they had some useful practise questions in but if you're getting the practise and answer books that's probably enough. Perhaps get just those first.
Same for the other text books.
I sold lots of mine on eBay so look on local selling sites as you'll get all these resources for a fraction of the price!

LIZS Mon 30-Sep-19 09:28:27

Is your dc at a prep school? If so they will spend the year on practice papers so don't overdo it in case you repeat the same.

QuestionTime123 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:26:32

Thank you mumofthree321!

And yes, eBay is brilliant for those books.

LIZS, he is at a Prep but given the stress we had before the pre-test last year for which the school hadn't prepare well, I decided not to rely purely on school anymore and have backup practice resource at home too.

Pigeonpair1 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:31:22

Love the CGP books too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in