Talk

Advanced search

Any Irish Mnetters??

(11 Posts)
Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:45:00

Hi there
Are there any irish mumsnetters out there who have successfully navigated moving from ireland to the uk for year 7? Its a NIGHTMARE. I can't apply properly as we've no postcode! Any feedback would be appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
FanDabbyFloozy Wed 18-Sep-19 14:43:15

Hi @acorncat1, I don't think the problem is coming from Ireland but rather moving into the area after applications close (end Oct) and of course, you need to have an address to use to actually apply.
Do you know what area you are moving to? If so, I would call the education contact at the local LA to discuss how to proceed.
When do you think you'll be moving?
If you're comfortable sharing the area, we might be able to advise. For instance, there are new schools opening in some areas - these tend to be under-subscribed for the first year or two.

Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:50:37

Yup, I've no problem sharing. I'm probably going to be banned from MN for putting up so many posts!
Looking at Horsforth School. Ive spoken to Leeds city council who've told me to send an email with all info and top 5 school pref. Thing I'm worried about is we won't get any of the 5 schools and he'll end up in some dodgy school miles away!!

It's hard to know having not seen any of the schools but thats not their prob!
Thing is my son will be starting year 7 in sept so that's another thing to worry about!

Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:53:16

Also, how can we make the decison where to live if we don't know where the school will be? Surely they have protocol for this? I'm not the only person to move from overseas?

Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:53:53

If we could move now I would!!

turkeyboots Wed 18-Sep-19 14:55:23

The UK does school applications very differently. They'll offer you a place in a near by school with places, you can put a preference in but you might not get any of them. And if you don't have a UK address, you'll be away down the priority list as it all done on distance usually.

bluebluezoo Wed 18-Sep-19 14:56:29

It’s not just overseas, even moving within the Uk is the same.

It’s a PITA. Mine ended up out of school for 8 weeks while we sorted council tax, applications processed etc.

turkeyboots Wed 18-Sep-19 14:57:17

Best bet is the get a house near the school you like asap and stay on the waiting list for a place. Which may or may not come up if it's a popular school. But your DC might have to start somewhere else and change later if you get a place.

Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:26:02

At least we'll be moving in the summer so will have bills etc sorted by July hopefully! Such a nightmare and so disruptive, last thing I want is for him to essentially move from primary to secondary, navigate that, then have to move again if he gets a place of our five preferences. I'm not looking for an amazing school! Just something that's good and not going to be a nightmare for him to attend!!
Most of the schools around Horsforth are Good on Ofsted but that's all I have to go on! They could be terrible!

malmontar Wed 18-Sep-19 18:30:00

What type of child is your son? Does he struggle academically? More of a middle? Or a high? If you go on compare schools gov and put your schools in, if let's you sort results out by prior attainment. This should give you a good indicator whether they could cater for him. Than you can go on the website and see what sort of clubs trips etc they have. The GCSE options on the website are also a good indicator on how flexible they are. Try to download the options booklet and see what options the kids have and how they go about choosing them. Do they force them into a pathway? These things can give you a great indicator of what the schools will be like without visiting them.

Acorncat1 Wed 18-Sep-19 21:01:07

That's great advice Malmontar. I'll have a look at that. I wish we could just move now!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in