Talk

Advanced search

Homework strategies

(7 Posts)
OneToThree Wed 11-Sep-19 09:59:23

Ds has just gone into year 8. Last year I organised his homework for him telling him what needed doing and for what day (not actually doing the work). I feel like he should be doing this himself but fear he’ll remember last minute or just plain forget.
I’ve just bought him a white board so I can write subject and date due on then just leave him to it?
I’ll add he’s a very clever, lazy disorganised boy.
If I don’t help at all I worry he’ll get negative points but do I need to shake that off as it’s him with the negative, not me. I’m super organised and it’s stressing me out thinking I’m babying him to if I don’t help I’m not being enough of a mum.

RedskyLastNight Wed 11-Sep-19 12:09:47

Leave him to it. Better he does it now than when the homework ramps up (and is more important) in GCSE years. If he leaves 4 pieces of homework to the night when he's out for 3 hours, he'll soon realise that that doesn't work. And let him get negative points. That's not any sort of reflection on you.

BringMoreCoffee Wed 11-Sep-19 12:50:15

Does he have a log book? At our school they all write their homework in there.

I brainstormed various ideas with DD and helped her set up the system she chose. The more you can get him involved in designing the system, the better but I know that can be tricky. Dad's homework varies week to week so we couldn't just set up a timetable, but she uses her log book and post-its. She has given herself time to chill before starting homework, a timeslot to start working, and a dedicated night off every week.

BringMoreCoffee Wed 11-Sep-19 12:50:44

* DD's homework, not Dad's...

OneToThree Wed 11-Sep-19 14:45:48

No log book it’s all on an app. Which is a bit annoying too as he doesn’t have access to his phone all the time. I limit his use on it.
I think I’ll have a chat with him and dh tonight and try to agree on a more hands off approach.

BringMoreCoffee Wed 11-Sep-19 15:03:41

I'm sure having the app can be a real positive though as the work is already in one place for him. Maybe he could embrace the tech and use the phone to set himself reminders, or have the app on a separate device like a cheap tablet or an existing laptop if you think he can't work with his phone there.

FrangipaniBlue Wed 11-Sep-19 15:14:44

DS was the King of "doing it the night before it's due" in primary school.

He's has just started y7 so I've told him I expect him to do homework on the day it's set and that way he's not "playing catch up" and trying to work out what's due when.

I know were only a week in but it seems to be working so far......,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »