Talk

Advanced search

Feedback on Claremont Fan Court School please?

(9 Posts)
ELiB1 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:36:22

I would appreciate any feedback on Claremont school please? I'm thinking about sending my ds there in Y7.

milliefiori Wed 11-Sep-19 09:45:24

It's run/funded by Christian Scientists but not in any way that impacts on student learning afaik.
The grounds are spellbindingly beautiful.
Friends who have sent children there have been super-happy with pastoral care. I know children who were bullied elsewhere who thrived and came out of their shells at Claremont.

It used to have a reputation for being unacademic. I know some bright enough children who came out with appalling grades. But that was a few years ago and they seem to have hugely improved their academic focus recently. They're not aggressively super-selective, so an averagely academic child who works hard should get in and feel within her depth.

All recent reports I have of it are positive. I know quite a few children from there and they all seem really nice, in the way that secure children are. No need for aggressive fronts.

ELiB1 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:39:48

Thank you Milliefiori!smile

doublesheesh Wed 11-Sep-19 17:18:08

I would ask around more if you can. It was a dreadful place even 5 years ago, where people who either couldn't get their kids elsewhere went or people who really couldn't give a rats arse where their dc went and it was close to them went. They have a newish head who is decent who claims it has turned around a bit but it seems a little soon for much really dramatic change to have taken place.

cabglo4 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:26:41

I have two children at CFC, one in the pre-prep and one in the prep and they are both really happy, in the prep school we have run into one teacher so far who was not great, but a quick meet with the Head and all was resolved. The pastoral care is fantastic, the new science block will create some amazing opportunities and all the staff and children seem really happy. I have heard good things about the new head of the senior school and definitely plan to keep both my children there.

milliefiori Mon 16-Sep-19 16:19:25

@doublesheesh - that's too harsh. I know some very loving parents who have chosen it for valid reasons in the last six years or so.

milliefiori Mon 16-Sep-19 16:19:58

And I know some current pupils who have got solid 8s at GCSE.

mummy110308 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:21:53

My son just started at Claremont in Y7. He just loves it. So far so positive

JoJoSM2 Wed 18-Sep-19 21:10:07

I don't know the school but looking at the official GCSE stats on the gov website and the average attainment 8 is 68. So far from unacademic though obviously not quite in the same league as the very academic schools.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »