Talk

Advanced search

Secondary schools two catchment areas.

(24 Posts)
GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 19:07:31

Can you put down choices for 1st, 2nd & 3rd schools in more than one catchment area?

clary Mon 09-Sep-19 19:35:10

You can put down any scho you like. Bear in mind that if a school is popular, only the closest people will get in.

Make sure you put a school you WILL get into (usually your local one) on the form somewhere, even if it's not your preference, as it will probably be better than a less good one that's not local.

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 19:39:13

Thank you My wife & are separating and live in two areas so could she have the first choice in her area and the second choice in mine?

PatriciaHolm Mon 09-Sep-19 19:54:03

You need to apply using the child's main address. You can apply for any schools you like, but only the one address can be used - so i would have thought it unlikely you would have a good chance of getting in to both schools from one address.

HPFA Mon 09-Sep-19 19:56:41

No problem if they're in the same authority - if you qualify for places in both schools they'll offer you whichever one is your first preference. But you only apply from one address - so your child won't be in catchment for two schools. You can't apply with your ex-wife's address and claim a distance criteria from YOUR address for one of the schools, if that makes sense

I think if the schools are in different local authorities you can apply to both but might have to fill in two forms? Not sure how this works so maybe check with your local authority?

Like clary said - make sure one of your choices is one they're certain to get into.

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:03:59

We are sharing custody & she stays at her mums the same time as at mine. We live over an hour appart and it’s different councels.

mumofthree74 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:16:49

How will you manage that arrangement when your child starts secondary? They need to easily be able to get home from school 5 days a week, every week and have a stable routine for extra curriculars, homework, friends etc.

Is there a school in the middle with a half an hour commute each way?

Darbs76 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:20:35

No you won’t be able to do that. You will have to select a main address and that will be catchment area. So might be best seeing what areas have the best schools and using the address near there as her main address (you’ll need to change it with her primary school id expect too). I think they would expect the addres to be the resident parent

Darbs76 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:21:46

And I agree that you need to think carefully about arrangement of her travelling an hour each way for secondary.

admission Mon 09-Sep-19 20:32:49

It is usually all about where your child wakes up for the majority of the school week, that is Monday to Friday mornings. Though even that in a few LAs has been stretched to all week, so please do check carefully on the LA website.
If there is an absolute 50/50 split, that is one has child 3 days a week and then next week 2 days a week, then again you need to check what exactly the LA say, though most then go for who is the child benefit being paid to.
Realistically if you are an hour apart, you cannot expect to get a school midway between the two establishments because you will be too far apart on distance, which is always the lowest criteria for admission. I think you need to have a serious talk about where exactly child is going to be for the whole of the week as this is the only way you can go forward with some school preferences that make any sense.
Please as a general plea to all in this situation, do not try to apply separately with different preferences, it will be picked up and will result in you getting probably a school neither of you wanted.

PatriciaHolm Mon 09-Sep-19 20:33:21

Well, then you need to decide which address to use. If residency is truly 50-50, some councils will let you choose, others will take the home where the parent with child benefit resides. You need to check.

What you cannot do is apply for a school in your area with your address and a school in her mums area with mums address. You need to make one application, to multiple schools if required, from one address.

And yes commute of an hour to school is going to be very hard on a secondary school child. How does it work with primary now?

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:34:02

It’s so hard, the school near me is outstanding but the ex says no and wants her to go to a not good school near her. I don’t know what to do? She wants to hurt me by having her near her home not what school is best?

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:34:24

Thank you for the help guys by the way

ThisLittlePiggyWentTo Mon 09-Sep-19 20:36:22

Where will make your child happy?

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:37:51

She doesn’t know, she hasn’t seen any of the schools yet

Teachermaths Mon 09-Sep-19 20:40:13

What is best for your child?

I'd guess that most of her friends will go to the school near your wife.

An hours travel from either house each day is unreasonable.

Does she want to live with you?

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:40:37

The child benefit goes to her mum

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:41:37

Her friends are near me because her primary school is near me. Her friends come and stay at mine

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:42:29

I’d say the best school would be best for her schooling

GandalftheG Mon 09-Sep-19 20:43:47

We do a 3 day and two day school split with opposite weekends so exactly 50 :50

user1474894224 Mon 09-Sep-19 20:50:40

I agree she needs a base near school not 1 hour away. If she were to live with one parent all week - where would she choose? You have to put her first in this decision - I agree the best school is probably best for her education but is it also best for everything else? - childcare in holidays after school etc, emotional support, friends, her desires, other siblings etc etc Yes as parents you both have ultimate say but also consider her wishes.

Teachermaths Mon 09-Sep-19 20:51:57

Ahh OK so mum moved away, how does this work with drop offs etc now?

I think if mum gets CB Then she will get to apply for schools.

clary Mon 09-Sep-19 21:03:20

Ah yes, seeing your updates, you need to apply from one address. You'll need to decide where your DD is living and apply to schools appropriate to that address.

She needs to live in one place tho, not two. Not for school I don't mean, just in general.

Admission talks sense as usual, as do others. Does she do three school days with you atm? However does it work, does your ex drive her an hour each way to school and back on Thurs and Fri? So four hours in the car?

JetPlanesMeeting Tue 10-Sep-19 18:33:09

If the primary school is near you how does your ex facilitate getting your child to the primary? Can they not continue that for the secondary?

How would it work the other way round? ie if you choose the secondary school near to your ex? Although this is obviously changing the current travelling arrangements.

It is the travelling practicalities, there are more likely to be after school clubs at secondary school too. I used to catch 2 buses to school, in winter in the dark and rain it was not only exhausting it was terrifying too. (Catholic school so no choice on location).

We moved house for an outstanding secondary school for our children, absolutely no regrets but we are not divorced so it was a joint decision.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »