Talk

Advanced search

GCSE remark/reviews

(5 Posts)
ramennoddles Sun 25-Aug-19 16:39:56

DD just got her GCSE results a few days ago. She just scraped a 7 in history which she was quite surprised by and she had been getting solid 8/9s throughout her mocks. Similarly, she got 8s in geography and psychology that were solid 8s but definitely not close to a 9 when she had been getting solid 9s throughout the year. Since she finds her marks out of character she wants a remark but I am not so sure as she is not near the grade boundary. What are your thoughts on how to proceed?

OP’s posts: |
booellesmum Sun 25-Aug-19 16:46:18

There is nothing wrong with a 7.
My DD did GCSE's 2 years ago. She got an A in History but all the way through had been heading for A*. The school looked and she was only 3 UMS off A* so I paid to get it checked but it came back no change.
If it had only just been into an A I wouldn't have knowing that grades can also go down.
A 7 will let her do History A level if she wants to, and once she gets her A-levels it won't matter at all whether History GCSE was a 7,8 or 9.

clary Sun 25-Aug-19 16:51:13

I wouldn't ask for a reassessment (it's not a remark) for a grade that was just a 7 - remember it could go down.

7 and 8 are great grades - that's A and A* in old money. Are these subjects she wants to study for A level?

hormonesorDHbeingadick Sun 25-Aug-19 16:53:52

She runs the risk of being marked down. Teachers are making an educated guess when they say this work is a 9 as grade boundaries change every year and are set after all the papers have been marked.

Aragog Sun 25-Aug-19 17:33:23

Unless a child's getting 100% really the teachers shouldn't be marking work at a grade 9. It often sets unrealistic expectation as it's supposed to be the very very top percentage of sitters getting the .

A grade 7 is a grade A so a good grade.

I wouldn't go for a remark of a paper where they've only just passed the boundary. Grades go up and down, so why risk it?!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in