Talk

Advanced search

12 year old boy. Blood results.

(12 Posts)
Jamie4288 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:42

Good afternoon, I was wondering would anyone have any information on the following.
Basically 6 weeks ago my family and I (2boys 12 & 8) flew back from England. My son (12) became slightly travel/motion sick. Never had this before. Anytime he was in the car from then he felt sick ( never threw up). About three weeks ago he started feeling sick without being in a car. The amount of food he was eating ,portions included was reduced. He’s a biggish lad for his age. Would finish every meal. And this just suddenly stopped.
Anyway planned a family trip to Donegal. 113miles away from us so bought travel sickness bands, kept the car cool etc, wasn’t a bad journey down. Throughout the trip he lay down a few times due to feeling sick. On the way home, it was horrific. We just about got to the nearest service station, he was crying a lot, sore tummy, clammy and needed to be sick. He managed to do a poo then we spent the next hour or so over a drain for him to throw up in. Managed to get him settled. Got him home and he went to be.
Took him to the doctors yesterday general well-being test was done, strength, eyes, ears etc and they where fine. blood tests finger prick was done, rang up today for the results, they’ve said his haemaglobin levels are slightly high and his white blood cells are slightly low. I’ve to ring and speak to a doctor on Friday to go through the results. Just wondering would any one have any idea roughly of why this would be.
Symptoms :-
Feeling sick, tired,clammy. But not all the time.
Usually poos once a day. Reduced significantly.
Sore tummy just to the right of his belly button if you are looking down his body from his view.
Sickness becomes a lot worse in the car.
Reduced appetite.

Many thanks in advance. Sorry it’s so long!

MargotsFlounceyBlouse Wed 14-Aug-19 16:29:43

Appendicitis would be on my mind, so if that pain to the right of his belly button gets worse call 111 at the very least. I'm not a doctor though so you know they'll be best to advise you. Poor thing, sounds miserable for him.

Jamie4288 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:39:39

Thank you! The pain isn’t an ongoing thing. More so when the doctor was pushing his tummy. We’ve been thinking maybe a blockage. But now because of the blood results it has to be something else maybe as well!

HugoSpritz Wed 14-Aug-19 16:45:58

Appendicitis pains do come and go and I have to admit it was my first thought. I was 12 when I had it and went though similar symptoms although I didn't have any blood tests .

Jamie4288 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:48:58

@HugoSpritz thank you very much for your reply. Any suggestions I will gladly take on board!!

Wildorchidz Wed 14-Aug-19 16:50:44

Could he have developed anxiety about being sick and getting sick?

Jamie4288 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:55:00

He’s usually fine with being sick. He he’s started to become anxious going in the car incase he needed to throw up. So we have a plan of travel sickness bands, ginger ale and air conditioning and a distraction method. But it’s the results of the blood test that are making me think it’s not a blockage and there’s something else going on.

HugoSpritz Wed 14-Aug-19 22:25:19

My pains were on and off and nausea/sickness for about a month. Luckily I was being looked after by my 25 yr old the evening it took badly enough to go to hospital by ambulance as my Mum said she would have put me to bed with painkillers because it had been ongoing

Absa Wed 14-Aug-19 22:35:26

If appendicitis then white cell count would be high and haemoglobin would be normal.

If he has low white cell count and these symptoms I would def speak to GP as they'll probably want to do more tests and pos refer for a scan.

Did they say anything else about other counts - platelets etc?

Jamie4288 Wed 14-Aug-19 22:39:09

Hi! Thanks for your reply. They said everything else is normal. Slightly high haemaglobin and slight low white blood cells?

Hersetta427 Thu 15-Aug-19 08:10:49

With Appendicitis the pain moves from being central to lower right pain so if it moves take him to the hospital.

Absa Fri 16-Aug-19 22:29:02

@Jamie4288 what did doc say?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »