Advanced search

Pupil premium for divorced parents?

(21 Posts)
sailingmummy Thu 08-Aug-19 10:27:26

Hi, I am divorced and confused whether we would qualify for Pupil premium. My ex husband is unemployed and in receipt of universal credit. As we don't live together (he is the other side of the country) would our children be eligible for pupil premium? I have a reasonably well paid job, but am really struggling financially as just surviving on my salary alone. Unfortunately, both kids need new uniform and shoes and everything has to have the school logo on and it's costing me a fortune. It's a state school too, so not posh! Does anyone understand the PP criteria when two parents live separately, but when one can't provide financially and is on benefits? Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Whynotnowbaby Thu 08-Aug-19 10:33:57

I can’t advise you on whether your family qualify but I think you have misunderstood what pp is. It is money received by schools to ensure “disadvantaged” children can be supported and given additional educational advantages. In secondary schools where I have worked this might involve things like: additional ta support, giving revision guides for GCSE for free to children, providing transport for additional after school sessions etc. It is not given to parents and is not a sort of grant. If you are really struggling to supply the essential uniform items your dc needs then you should definitely contact the school. We always had a vast stock of second hand clothes which would either be given or sold for a token amount to families in need.

Starlingsarebullies Thu 08-Aug-19 10:42:10

Children get pupil premium if they have been in receipt of free school meals within the last 6 years (or are looked after children or are a service family)

Starlingsarebullies Thu 08-Aug-19 10:43:06

The money is given to the school not the family

Bokky Thu 08-Aug-19 10:43:25

Service children don't get the full PP entitlement

PinkFlowerFairy Thu 08-Aug-19 10:44:11

It will be based on the childs main residence and whether they are entitled to free school meals.

PinkFlowerFairy Thu 08-Aug-19 10:45:11

I doubt if you have a well paid job youd be eligible. They kept lowering the income level and I think full time minimum wage wouldnt count.

tinytemper66 Thu 08-Aug-19 10:47:25

I would contact the school with your concerns about the cost of uniform. A decent school would help as I know we help parents in difficult circumstances and financial difficulties.

sailingmummy Thu 08-Aug-19 10:58:34

Thank you.i know that the school get the money, but was also aware that this could contribute to the cost of uniforms. I've been keeping an eye out for second hand uniform in the right sizes, but there's nothing! It would also help with the cost of their lunches...

OP’s posts: |
HPFA Thu 08-Aug-19 11:02:39

If you're paying for their lunches then presumably you don't get free school meals so wouldn't qualify for PP?

dancemom Thu 08-Aug-19 11:03:36

Pupil premium funding remains with the school and is not for the purchase of uniforms or lunches.

Additionally it's based on the resident parents situation so not your ex partners universal credit.

PinkFlowerFairy Thu 08-Aug-19 11:15:05

Google suggested its housegold incomes under 7500.

admission Thu 08-Aug-19 11:18:45

You need to speak with the school as to whether you are eligible for free school meals etc. Your circumstances are now not that unusual and schools are becoming more and more aware that there are many families who are struggling to make ends meet.
It is in the school's interest to ensure that everybody who is eligible is signed up because it not only makes a difference in the level of Pupil Premium the school is receiving but also within the national funding formula which dictates the funding the school receives.

Alliumlove Thu 08-Aug-19 11:20:53

I think the salary for the uniform grant is relatively high at around £16k, but I think there are other qualifiers too, and it will depend where you live. You'd be best asking your local council OP, unless you live in Scotland where it is available everywhere I think.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 08-Aug-19 11:24:01

If you are struggling to fund uniforms it is worth contacting the school. Our school does have some pre-owned uniform available for families in need.

goodbyestranger Thu 08-Aug-19 21:51:23

Fizzypoo Thu 08-Aug-19 21:53:43

Are you entitled to anything? You may be eligible for some universal credit yourself?

bionicnemonic Thu 08-Aug-19 22:04:16

If they have uniform but in the wrong size could you see if you could buy correct size from a supermarket or M&S and the second hand uniform to cut the logo off and sew it on (depending on how it’s been constructed of course) Also there are some places that may embroider logos on to ready made clothes

PixieLumos Thu 08-Aug-19 22:16:29

If you’re children qualify for PP then ofte they would also qualify for free school meals - contact the school about it, and about struggling with uniform. PP is paid to the school and basically goes into one pot - the school decides how to make best use of it e.g. additional sports coaching, specific learning resources etc. - it won’t be given to the children directly for uniform or anything like that.

CheesecakeAddict Thu 08-Aug-19 22:29:12

It is based on household income and receipt of FSM. You will need to look at how your school spends their PP money which must be published - this will probably be on their website. Certain things will be a given e.g. Revision guides for year 11 but anything else will need authorisation from whoever runs PP in the school. This is usually another teacher, so you are unlikely to get a response over the summer holiday, meaning you wouldn't have the uniform before September anyway.
I would also not lose hope even if you are not PP. I have seen schools spend PP money on parents in really dire straights for basic school things. Speak to the school because they will want to help where they can

WindsBeginToSing Fri 09-Aug-19 19:13:43

FSM and PP are two separate but connected things. If you're eligible for FSM then the school will also get PP (although not until the April after you qualify). If you stop being eligible for FSM, the school(s) will still get the PP for 6 years. But it's up to the school(s) what they spend the PP on. Some will have an automatic allocation of free uniform, for example, while others will look at things on a case by case basis. As for eligibility in your situation, I don't know - but why not just apply online to find out? It's easy to do and you've got nothing to lose.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in