Talk

Advanced search

Coolest school bag for a girl starting secondary school?

(79 Posts)
Blinktwice2 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:18:02

Please can I ask for recommendations? DD is starting secondary and I’d like to buy her a nice bag (surprise). Are smiggle ones considered childish ?

OP’s posts: |
Ohyesiam Mon 17-Jun-19 20:20:15

Yes, smuggle is for primary.
At dds school( massive comp) most girls favour leather look tote bags over their shoulder.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 17-Jun-19 20:22:01

I don't think Smiggle is for secondary.

Your best bet would be to eye up the local girls and see the type of thing they have, as it can be quite school dependent, (especially as some schools send loads of books home, and others don't).

Or get your DD to keep an eye out when she goes for transition days (but that might spoil the surprise).

AlsoKnownAsMillicent Mon 17-Jun-19 20:25:35

Our local secondary insists on backpacks for yr 7&8 so tote bags would be a no-no.

All the girls round here seem to favour hype bags.

Mokepon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:26:02

I'm going to watch with interest a sin the same boat.
Smiggle for high school though, not a chance. Some of the girls at DDs primary are using Fjallraven bags which likely belong to older siblings. .hoping to avoid that at £80 a pop shock.

BelindasGleeTeam Mon 17-Jun-19 20:27:40

Hype rucksacks seem popular with ours

Ratatouille76 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:27:51

Following. My daughter wants a rucksack but a sports brand. Not sure which.

stucknoue Mon 17-Jun-19 20:30:08

Get a danskin backpack, lots of great designs and really strong. A parent cannot choose a "cool" anything, trust me, so buy sensible

SavoyCabbage Mon 17-Jun-19 20:32:40

It’s completely school driven.

I would have said it might be better for her to choose it, rather than you getting it as a surprise. She should have a say.

Bluebird797 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:33:57

My daughter started comp last year, it's Hype or Vans for the win

BillywilliamV Mon 17-Jun-19 20:35:37

I have 2 teenage DDs and my advice to you is take her shopping and let her choose. Whatever you choose will be WRONG!

Embarassingbumproblem Mon 17-Jun-19 20:36:19

Definitely not smiggle for secondary.
Hype is definitely the way to go

troppibambini Mon 17-Jun-19 20:36:40

Kanken they're £80 though. Our school only allow backpacks.

DropZoneOne Mon 17-Jun-19 20:37:13

Hype bags here ... gave DD the website link and just put in card details at the necessary time 😆

WouldHAVEcouldHAVEshouldHAVE Mon 17-Jun-19 20:38:27

Can’t go wrong with Hype, loads of designs to choose from though so hard to pick unless you know which one she’d like.
DD’s friends who had the big handbags mostly went back to backpacks as they’re so much easier to carry.

LolaSmiles Mon 17-Jun-19 20:38:37

It depends on the school and their policy.

The cool bags around here are faux leather totes by brand names that costs a fortune but seem to fall apart if they carry anything substantial.

Other girls have some nice backpacks with patterns, hype, Roxy, O'Neill and others.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 17-Jun-19 20:41:08

I'd not go for a surprise. Get her in on it, she needs to be happy.

Is she walking to school?

QueenofCBA Mon 17-Jun-19 20:41:29

Hype or Kanken will do the trick, with Hype being a lot more purse friendly!
I would also subtly guide towards something light and/or reflective. Most secondaries around here stupidly insist on black or navy coats. Great idea for kids who walk in the dark...

Bookworm4 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:42:36

Hype or Vans, absolutely no cutesy or characters.

Fucktuates Mon 17-Jun-19 20:44:17

All the kids here have Vans bags.

I dread having to spend like £80 on a schoolbag blush

RedSkyLastNight Mon 17-Jun-19 20:46:42

I know you want to buy it as a surprise, but I'd say better to let her start with a bag she already has and have a good look at what everyone else is using, and then let her pick herself.

You'll also find out things like e.g. at DC's school, you need a bag both big enough for an a4 folder and small enough to squish down in a fairly small locker, which narrows options down considerably.

Deafdonkey Mon 17-Jun-19 20:48:06

Agree with looking at what the local senior school kids have. I don't think she can choose well now as what's cool end of primary will be lame (ha! my kids have just started using this 90s term)

Blinktwice2 Mon 17-Jun-19 20:48:44

Thanks all. She’ll be taking a bus (or a train may be). We’ll stick with backpacks for now, although she asked if she can have a tote.
I think I’ll play safe and just let her choose

OP’s posts: |
pikapikachu Mon 17-Jun-19 20:50:03

Definitely avoid Smiggle.

I would talk to your dd and not choose for her. She will probably have definite preferences. My dd is going into Sixth Form but has chosen plain leather (unbranded) backpacks for school. I see Hype quite a lot with y6/7 kids but bold designs have to be their taste iykwim.

m0therofdragons Mon 17-Jun-19 20:52:06

Ours seem to favour Superdry or sports bags like Nike.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in