Talk

Advanced search

GCSEs 2019 Support thread 3

(1000 Posts)
myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 21:19:49

Welcome all - just went to post on thread 2 and saw it was at 999 so quickly did this

Lelelel26 Sat 25-May-19 07:32:50

Zoflora he’s done amazing there smile

Soursprout Sat 25-May-19 07:38:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doublechocadooberry Sat 25-May-19 09:18:40

Wow zoflorebore that is incredible. 6st what an amazing amount. Hats off to him.

Michaela yes, RS had a couple of questions that DS thinks you would only know how to answer if Islam was your faith.

Hope all DC can recharge over coming week. Have a good bank holiday all.

Iambuffy Sat 25-May-19 14:56:06

6 stone??? That's quite an achievement! Brilliant smile

Turns out ds was quite worried about thec12 marker question on his geography paper...was a stinker apparently....he asked how geography teacher and told him what he wrote and his teacher said "spot on" so 🤞

Ds has done geography revision earlier and is doing something else now (I'm upstairs and haven't asked!)

He's off to speedway later.

Have a good bank holiday all x

MarchingFrogs Sat 25-May-19 20:13:26

I gather that at DC'a school there was some perturbation about the paper referring to Ibrahim instead of Abraham which apparently they had never come across before.

Just had a quick look at the Eduqas GCSE RS spec (DS2's school does OCR) and in the Subject Content for the 'Prophet hood (Risalah)' section, it does say, Ibrahim as father of Isaac and Ishma'il and his significance for the Muslim religion

Possibly the teacher should have at least told them at some point that there are different versions of various names, even if s/he then carried on using the (to the students presumably more familiar / equally unfamiliar) Abraham.

raspberryrippleicecream Sat 25-May-19 22:12:22

Hope everyone has a relaxing half term.

Nice to read about GCSE classics. DD is reading Classics at uni, and would have loved to be able to do to the sucbject at GCSE or A level.

Powergower Sun 26-May-19 07:30:32

Hope everyone is enjoying the break. Ds had not done anything since Wed evening and can't get his groove back. On the one hand I'm glad he's having a break but on the other I'm worried he's had his fill of revision for this year and won't restart.

Michaelahpurple Sun 26-May-19 08:57:15

Marchingfrogs - thanks for that. I do think they ought to have known - I might peek in his school materials to check if school did in fact tell them

Openupyourmind Sun 26-May-19 09:29:08

@Michaelahpurple my kids complained about that too - it really threw them - but as they have been finding - the teacher has not gone over the whole spec in class in many subjects... and I have been telling them that this would be likely to be the case but they didn't believe me. Lesson learnt for A level - when it really counts, do not rely on the teacher - check the spec!

fairweathercyclist Sun 26-May-19 11:21:28

My ds is a bit tooo relaxed. He didn't like the physics exam but other than that says everything has been ok or better. We usually go away in May half term but I didn't book to go away this year because of Brexit and GCSEs and now I am thinking that he's doing so little work anyway we might as well have done! At least if we had gone to Spain on holiday it would have counted as Spanish revision.

That said, he is quite a negative person so if he thinks he is doing ok he probably is. I would like to see a bit more revision going on though.

But as a pp said as long as he gets the grades for what he wants to do next that is the main thing (needs 5 x 4 and above with a 5 for Eng lang (and Maths) and a 6 for Spanish).

Lifeandbeans Sun 26-May-19 19:22:12

DD isn't revising at all anymore. She said she's going to fail anyway so why bother and that she doesn't care.
Driving me insane tbh! I've tried everything to motivate her.

Openupyourmind Sun 26-May-19 19:27:42

It's definitely proving hard to keep the momentum going since they broke up on Thursday.

TabbyStar Sun 26-May-19 20:09:44

Mine's not revising, she has too many other teen dramas going on to concentrate. She'll do okay without it, I've given up. She's been okay at cramming the day before, though that might not work so well for the week back with seven, but anything I say makes things worse.

Bimkom Sun 26-May-19 20:21:22

Yes even DS had taken his foot off the accelerator a little bit, but then the dreaded sixth form sent through an invitation to a familarisation afternoon (25th June) "even though we do not know if (DS) will definitely be joining us" and a link to their parental enrollment portal. DS is desperate to go, so that has motivated him to knuckle down again.
In addition DD has her Year 8 exams immediately after half term, so I am seriously standing over her to revise (she has three exams every day Monday-Thursday, and one on Friday the week she gets back). DD is much less motivated about study, and I have been reading her the riot act about how this half term is for revision. I am prepared to let her not study for the subjects she will not be taking for GCSE (like history and computing), but I am determined that she should put in some effort for the rest. After the exams the school goes into silly season, as I keep reminding her, and there won't be much homework or anything after the end of next week, so she needs to make the push this week. Unlike DS, this is an uphill battle (admittedly, DS wasn't so great about it when her age, the Year 8 exams were a bit of a terning point, as they were the first time he really knuckled down. It was in this week of half term before he had his Year 8 that he first ever did a revision schedule and did some serious revision (even if it involved asking Mum to check every second question in maths when he had made a silly calculating error, or didn't know how to do it), and it was mostly in maths, because he had dropped to set 2 in the last setting test, and was unhappy as anything about it. But it seriously paid off (from set 2 he nearly topped the year in maths), and it seriously taught him that revision pays off.

Bimkom Sun 26-May-19 20:23:44

turning point - I really can spell (sometimes!) . Anyhow, having me nagging DD is having the effect of sending him back to the books, I think.

Iambuffy Sun 26-May-19 20:27:33

Ds is doing ok atm 🤞

Bimkom Sun 26-May-19 20:29:22

Regarding DD, it hasn't helped that they have had an appalling maths teacher, so there is so much of what the revision guide claims they will be testing on that DD claims she has never seen (and I am pretty sure she is right, because certainly there has been no homework on pythagorus' theorem, and simultaneous equations, and yet they are on her revision guide). And the revision questions are pretty tough. I jsut walked her through one which required a pressure calculation - converting the area of the high heels from mm squared to metres squared, then multiplying it by 2 for each heel, and then plugging into the pressure formula (and the calculator put the conversion into 10 to the minus power form, which she claimed never to have seen either). Pretty tough even if you didn't need to know the pressure formula because they told you they wanted the answer in newtons/ metres squared

Lifeandbeans Sun 26-May-19 20:45:11

Dd wants to stay at her school sixth form (I don't want her to for a variety of reasons)
She's had an interview with them and there's been vague mention from a staff member of her going and vague mention of resit but I've had no info.
No offer letter, no info on what grades she needs. Is it full or part time? Not a clue!

Iambuffy Sun 26-May-19 20:47:31

Have today ds1s preferred 6th form is very organised. Even sent him a good luck card last week! (But late as our surname is at the end of the alphabet!)

His back up is ok too, but his 3rd choice was diabolical.

The term p*ss up and brewery spring to mind...

Greeborising Sun 26-May-19 22:06:41

I can certainly sympathise with pp’s who say their dc are too relaxed!
My dd hasn’t got out of bed before midday since her last exam 🙄

She flops downstairs at regular intervals to get snacks and says
“omg, I haven’t done ANY revision, I can’t bear to even look at history “

I think I’ll give her a couple of days then I’m going to crack the whip!

Soursprout Sun 26-May-19 22:26:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyMcKitty Sun 26-May-19 22:58:14

Ds has surprised me with his work ethic this weekend.

He had DT Fri pm and went from school to his girlfriends for the evening. Over the weekend he seems to have been over (as a recap) all 4 History topics, Human Geography, Eng Lang and is currently doing practice questions on iteration and some other maths topics on the predicted lists.

He went out this afternoon for a few hours and is going to his girlfriends tomorrow (apparently they will revise).

He has no back up plan for 6th form- he wants to stay where he is which needs an APS of 6.5 across all 10 GCSES plus min 7’s in subjects he wants to study.

KittyMcKitty Sun 26-May-19 22:59:45

I think he’s just massively relieved he will never have to do French or Chemistry Paper 1 again ever!

Michaelahpurple Mon 27-May-19 06:11:56

Ds1 took the weekend off, having come on Friday lunchtime after history (so most of Friday off too!).

This morning will reveal if knuckling down is going to happen. Really needs to spring back into action so fingers crossed

pointythings Mon 27-May-19 12:32:14

Well, revision kicks off again tomorrow and I need to chase the GP for DD2's blood tests because her joint pain is still getting worse. We're in the early stages of finding out whether it's young onset arthritis or something else. She's never not in pain, it exhausts her and I'm amazed she has managed to stick with her school work in the way she has.

After 3 nights in a holiday caravan bed, she's now in her own bed having a snooze to see if she feels better. Hot bath will be the next thing.

This thread is not accepting new messages.