Talk

Advanced search

GCSEs 2019 Support thread 3

(1000 Posts)
myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 21:19:49

Welcome all - just went to post on thread 2 and saw it was at 999 so quickly did this

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 21:23:48

Phew - that was all a bit rushed...

Am sorry if I've breached protocol in starting thread 3 as haven't been a prolific poster - I just went to post on 2 and saw we were at 999 so created a link between the two threads.

Here is thread 2 for anyone still catching up on todays exams
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3492770-GCSEs-2019-support-thread-part-2?watched=1&msgid=87089935#87089935

For those that have said their DC found English Lit hard and were dismayed by general reaction... I saw on twitter the tide turning a bit on Macbeth when more than a few realised they hadn't read the question properly so don't read too much into initial happiness.

Iambuffy Wed 15-May-19 21:23:58

Hello!
Such a shame that these new gcses seem to totally destroy kids love of learningsad

readyforsunshine Wed 15-May-19 21:25:18

Noclue that’s awful I really feel for your dd, poor girl. I hope you can help her pick herself up for tomo, so sorry she’s had her confidence knocked when she’s been working hard.

flatmouse Wed 15-May-19 21:31:47

Noclue sorry to hear your DD so upset, hope Paper 2 is better and she does well in eng lang. It is so stressful for them all. I particularly don't like "the student room" and the dissection after the exam. DS had no clue when he did his 3 years ago, but DD knows all about it. She's staying clear for now, but there were tons of memes about eng lit on her instagram!

NoClueWithStyle Wed 15-May-19 21:33:39

Thanks for new thread myrtle.
And thanks for your post ready, her eng lit was with ocr and she did Jekyll and hyde, and never let me go. She says Macbeth will be on paper 2 with the poetry. So I'm very confused reading the other posts about how other pupils found it.
But even I know if you only answer 1 of 3 questions your results aren't going to be great.

She says the quotes they had been told to learn were not applicable to the questions asked. But I haven't spoken to others to find out if that's true or her inability to analyse.
She doesn't need to pass for her plans for next year, but she's gutted that she might have failed something. I've tried to buy her up as much as possible...'it wont matter in a year', you can't be good at everything' etc but she's very subdued and has spent far more time in her room than usual. :-(

ILoveYou3000 Wed 15-May-19 21:39:38

Looking on Twitter I can't decide what to make of the AQA Macbeth question. I'm beginning to lower my expectations for her. We have back up plans in place which my daughter can live with.

Greeborising Wed 15-May-19 21:44:08

Thanks for new thread myrtle

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 21:46:49

I haven't listened to this yet but was alerted to it on twitter by a friend of mine - podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rich-roll-podcast/id582272991?i=1000436851127

Parenting teens under pressure is the theme I think. One of the points made on the podcast is how if as adults you were off to work 5 days a week and had rolling one hour meetings about wildly different topics and with varying degrees of interest and/or ability... it would be laughable. And yet this is school.

Am not trying to make a direct comparison and I appreciate that we're in the eye of the storm with GCSEs but the notion of the intensity of GCSEs whereby you come out of a chemistry exam in the morning, have an hours break and then do a Latin exam is clearly bonkers - the potential for pressure and stress is incredible.

In so many ways GCSEs become irrelevant shortly after taking them, but at the same time they seem to be a unique bottleneck of potential pressure and almost seem designed to cause or at least create the environment for a drop in performance.

We moved DD to foundation science about a month before her GCSEs - she was so erratic in marks and found it so stressful. On a good day she could land a 7, on a bad day she could fail higher. Our worry was less about science (she's not that way inclined grin ) but more about how her stress levels could then impact negatively on the subjects she's doing really well in.

Of course now she's moaning that grade boundaries will be low and she could have managed - but actually she's relieved by the reduction in stress. So if she has a spiky GCSE profile but less stress I tend to think we're doing well at parenting and thats all we can do, and relieving the stress, pre, during and post is what we're all doing really so flowers to all.

chocolateworshipper Wed 15-May-19 21:47:11

Chemistry tomorrow - which will be the worst paper for DD. It's not the end of the world if she doesn't get Science, so just hope she doesn't get too stressed with it. Then it will be one week down, 3 to go.

Iambuffy Wed 15-May-19 21:47:19

I'm concerned about chemistry.

Ds got s 4 in the mocks and his was one of the higher Marks...

marmiteloversunite Wed 15-May-19 21:58:32

Just had our first tears about chemistry and computer science tomorrow. DD feels that nothing is going in. It's the worst week for her so just trying to get through to Friday evening.

Going to take her a sleepy tea soon and get her to stop. She is tired and stressed.

Zoflorabore Wed 15-May-19 22:02:43

Hi all, ds is in a state over drama on Friday which is baffling me a little bit.

He is going into the exam on a grade 8 which was his combined score for the devising log and his 2 set pieces and he knows Blood Brothers inside out and upside down as he also had it for his English lit which he sat in year 10.

His problem is with the landlord/landlady essay as he has struggled with it from the start. Ds has Aspergers and is a real worrier.

I've just had the chat with him that again reiterates that all I ask is he does his best and there is absolutely no pressure from us at all. His college place isn't even asking for drama GCSE to do drama A level and he's on target to do bloody brilliantly. He's by no means a straight A kid, far from it, but he is a trier and puts his all into what he does.

I just wish I could fast forward to the end. This is only the first week for us.

I am sure that he's not the only one panicking, sadly.

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 22:04:12

marmite we have a 'sleepy tea' too! Ours is the Nighttime one by Pukka.

Hope she can relax a bit.. I've been trying to encourage DD to do the Davina McCall yoga work out (available online) as a way to relax body and mind before bed (she's ignoring me though)

ILoveYou3000 Wed 15-May-19 22:09:08

DD's in bed, she's shattered, but is always in bed by this time, her friends always tease her about her being the first to say goodnight in group chat every day.

She still seems relaxed. I wish I was. June 14th can't come soon enough.

doublechocadooberry Wed 15-May-19 22:09:30

DS isn't expecting much from chemistry tomorrow, definitely a weakness of his. He is quite fatigued today and currently watching the free science lessons. He looks quite defeated so I doubt anything is going in.

I feel so sorry for our DC. They have put so many hours of revision into these exams so to get a real curveball of a question, is just unfair.

OhFFSMary Wed 15-May-19 22:26:17

As parents of teens, can I ask you to pop over here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/3586773-Please-dont-get-rid-of-the-Teenagers-board and make your thoughts known if you agree. Mnet HQ want to merge teens into general parenting. Personally I think parenting teens is a completely different thing to parenting pre-teens and needs a separate (safe to rant) space!

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 15-May-19 22:27:46

Thanks myrtle

doublechoc hope he gets a rest after chemistry?

I think it takes a couple of days for reality to hit, so they're probably all feeling a bit bruised tonight - by next week it will be feeling normal-ish, and then they get a week's break, thank goodness. My older kids had one week before half term and three afterwards, I prefer this schedule with the exams more evenly shared out.

Dd3 has been back down and had a bit of a cry this evening. Things are a bit tough for her atm - after chemistry tomorrow she's off to the hospital for a couple of hours - and it's getting to her tonight.

Sending soothing thoughts to all our stressed dcs and all us stressed parents!

Bimkom Wed 15-May-19 22:27:53

Re Macbeth - I think the Edexcel one on the Porter sounds really tough, DS definitely couldn't have done that one at all. What he liked about the AQA is that it was on a main character - ie Macbeth, for which he had (and presumably most DC had) learnt quotes. And he had (and I would have thought most DCwould have) learnt at least some quotes that relate to violence because after all, the key narrative of the play is that Macbeth kills Duncan which is a violent act (I don't know which quotes DS used - but having tested him on some quotes, I know that he had quotes talking to the dagger - which after all is an instrument of violence). Seems a lot easier to me that an extract on a completely obscure character like the Porter!

OddBoots Wed 15-May-19 22:28:59

A bit of a tricky evening here, DD got messages from a friend in a mental health crisis having intrusive suicidal the thoughts so DD was on the phone with her talking with her until her friend's parents got home. I am so proud of how well DD dealt with it but it was an hour on the phone then another hour of DD shaking and crying once the friend was safe so no revision has been done and she has gone to bed blotchy eyed.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Wed 15-May-19 22:34:14

So if she has a spiky GCSE profile but less stress I tend to think we're doing well at parenting and thats all we can do

Completely agree with this (and all the rest of your post, myrtle). I honestly don't care anymore as long as ds gets the grades he needs to do what he wants to do next - and you know what, even if he doesn't its not the end of the world.

He dropped Theology & Philosophy at the start of this year due to highly erratic grades, and is only doing Double Science. So in terms of his peer group he is doing quite a limited number of subjects and won't be getting a string of the highest marks. I worried about this for a while but have come to realise that in the big scheme of things it's really not a big deal.

And he is happy. He's not stressed or anxious like he was this time last year (when he walked out of several of his end-of-year exams and ended up in counselling). He's probably not working quite as hard as he could be but I'm not going to push it because, as you say, look at what they have been managing every day at school as it is!

Maybe it's the wrong attitude. Maybe I should be pushing more (and I have had plenty of my own moments of panic!) But I'd rather have a smiling, relaxed child with a spiky GCSE profile than the anxious, sobbing one I had for most of last year.

purpleboy Wed 15-May-19 22:57:59

Hi all, I'm new to this thread. Just wanted to pop in and say hi to you all, and good luck for all DCs Chem tomorrow. Not one of DDs strongest subject but hoping the hours of revision she has put in will pay off!

gleegeek Wed 15-May-19 23:03:32

I'm proud that my usually anxious school- hating child is making it in to sit exam after exam. Regardless of the results, she's doing amazingly well. Chemistry tomorrow morning, then French on friday and then it's the weekend. Hooray!

Powergower Wed 15-May-19 23:03:35

Ds had lit aqa today. He was looking forward to it as it's his subject. He wants to do it at a level. He loved Romeo and Juliet and Frankenstein. He came out of the exam really upset. He said the questions so wide that he completely over thought them and thought the exam board were trying to trick him. This resulted in him writing out a messy convoluted essay. I'm gutted for him because he loved both books and had really really revised for the exam. He was told so many times by teachers that they had to discuss complex themes and specific quotes but the question so easy it completely threw a lot of them. He's revising for chemistry now but he's really miserable. He definitely does not want to do English a level.

It's hard to know how to support him. I've told him to just keep moving on and forget about the exams done otherwise he will drive himself mad.

Hotterthanahotthing Wed 15-May-19 23:08:19

DD found Eng lit not too bad,Macbeth andJeckle and Hyde.
No chance to revise due to college open evening(DD rethinking her options).
Hope they all do well in chemistry,she has computer science then in the afternoon and I worry that a bad chemistry paper will knockher for the afternoon.
ASA parent it feels like an ongoing damage limitation exercise.

Greeborising Wed 15-May-19 23:09:11

Your heart breaks for them when you know how hard they have worked and then to see them so dispirited.

We keep reiterating that once you’ve sat an exam, put it behind you.
Hard though.

Lots of luck to all for tomorrow

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 23:10:54

oddboots - that is a very tough evening for you DD. She has done so well but will definitely need to rest and recuperate and recognise that she can't be responsible for someone else - only support them to the best of her ability at any time.

Maud - thank you - to be honest I fretted about the move to foundation a great deal but my DD and Dh were ahead of the game and they were right. I hope you DS continues to be happy.

purpleboy - welcome!

gleegeek yay to your amazing DD and double yay to the weekend

power I suspect your DS is caught in a double loop of over thinking everything. Am sure he'll have done well - he prepared and with that level of knowledge I imagine he will have added depth to his answers. I do hope it doesn't put him off A level English - I loved my own time doing English at A-level and am super excited for DD doing it to. Is access grade contingent or are they likely to look beyond exam stress and recognise A-level potential?

right am off to bed shortly - see you all for the next round!

doublechocadooberry Wed 15-May-19 23:12:47

Thinking of your DD Atia and you too. Hope the hospital can help to see her through. Its hard enough with the pressure of exams let alone feeling unwell on top of it all.

Thinking of your DD also Odd, what a sad situation. I hope both are okay. Must be difficult clearing her mind from that call and concern about her friend to regain some focus back onto DDs own matters.

DS still has lessons at school, no study leave here, unfortunately, but the school is very understanding and call me when he is unwell. Hoping the weekend will help them all regroup a little and agree the half term will help recharge any batteries for the last leg.

NoClueWithStyle Wed 15-May-19 23:28:56

Oh my goodness, so many stressed teens. And therefore stressed parents too.

May the rest of the exams be surprisingly easy and the 14th June come quickly.

Soursprout Wed 15-May-19 23:29:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Effic Wed 15-May-19 23:46:20

soursprout my DS felt the same regarding Macbeth question. Said it was too obvious and “a struggle to write anything that wasn’t blindingly obvious - of course he’s bloody violent, the whole play is about the consequences of him killing people!”

bizzey Wed 15-May-19 23:46:31

Late to the party as always!
Macbeth ok
J&H AWKWARD (aka not revised !)
Sorry for all your dc's having tears and troubles
My nephew read me a Biff, Chipp and Kipper book tonight.. yes Floppy was in it ad well. (Surely shod be ..you know where now ! )
And now our little babies are doing Shakespeare !.
Yes ..i am on the wine ,recovering with a cold flannel on my head .😇😇

Lifeandbeans Thu 16-May-19 00:03:52

Replying to the other thread.
Just wanted to say to NoClueWithStyle that we are in a very similar situation.
DD just won't read anymore at all. (Also dyslexic amongst other things)
We are heavily relying on a hopeful four for English language. She got a U in the literature mocks so you definitely aren't alone.

Lifeandbeans Thu 16-May-19 00:06:57

Is anyone else having issues just motivating their kids to revise?

It started so well but three exams in Sen DD is already tired and done with it and has done no revision tonight at all.

Pipandmum Thu 16-May-19 00:14:46

All the more reason for getting rid of these exams. My son is being quite tactical and focusing on the subjects he needs and not caring much about the rest (going to vocational college next year). Whereas I know my academically competitive daughter will be revising all hours when it’s her turn in a couple years! And A levels are worse - having to chose just three subjects and having your whole future based on the results. I think the IB is better for many kids.

Luciaia Thu 16-May-19 07:19:51

noclue dd also worried by the general happy reactions to paper 1. Feels as though she missed the mark with the Jekyll and Hyde question and that she basically answered her own question- a few stress tears have been shed.

Greeborising Thu 16-May-19 07:39:13

Morning all.

Dd just left for chemistry, CS & Latin today.

She’s so tired & painful period just started 😬 so not much enthusiasm

No exams tomorrow thankfully.

Wishing everyone a good day x

loveonthewall Thu 16-May-19 07:41:53

Mine found the Romeo and Juliet question hard too. Said the questions were worded in a tricky way. Not that eng lit is his forte though. He's relaxed because others are saying the same thing and he knows they don't set the grade boundaries pre-exam.

Hotterthanahotthing Thu 16-May-19 07:48:00

My DDS been up since 6am listening to BBC chemistry.Shes now singing in the shower so must be feeling ok at the moment .
She knows all her chemistry equations (so do I now)so hope she can use some and keep calm.
She's off to a pre exam booster class now.
The teachers must be exhausted too putting in these extra mornings,since the kids still have lessons in-between exams there is no real let up.

TabbyStar Thu 16-May-19 07:51:57

Is anyone else having issues just motivating their kids to revise?

DD's not great. This morning she is sitting at the breakfast table with her chemistry book open in front of her because "I don't know any of this unit" whilst faffing around on Instagram. Anything I say pushes her in the wrong direction. She will pass everything but could do so much better.

cptartapp Thu 16-May-19 07:53:25

DS1 gone off for 7.30 revision chemistry in school. Last exam until next when when it ramps up with four exams in the first two days. It's DS2 birthday this weekend and we are out with family. Trying to find a balance with DS1 partaking which I think he needs and last minute cramming. Most subjects I can help with but chemistry goes right over my head! Good luck for today to them all.

myrtleWilson Thu 16-May-19 07:56:01

Some last minute chemistry here too! We live opposite the school so that is a saving grace insofar as we don't have to factor in travel times. DD is on study leave and she prefers staying at home and just arrives 30 mins before the exam starts.

Good luck everyone for Chemistry, Classics and CS and anything else I've missed!

Rugbylife Thu 16-May-19 07:57:24

Ds remarkably calm, he said yesterday that his mocks were much worse than the actual exams he’s sat so far. Chemistry today then nothing until Tuesday. We’re halfway after today 7 down and 7 left to go. He’s not expecting top grades but says he will have definitely passed, I so hope he’s right.

readyforsunshine Thu 16-May-19 08:04:02

Poor dd full of cold, shoulder picked it up on a flight & now we are both suffering. She felt eng lit went well but said she lost a bit of momentum on Jane Eyre as she was feeling so ropey. She didn’t revise last night as she was struggling to focus so got an early night & was up early for a last minute tune up. I’ve been giving her berocca, cold & flu, fruit etc.
Luckily after chemistry this morning she has a break until Tuesday, just a bit concerned as she is still suffering 10 days in😬
Good luck to all today

gleegeek Thu 16-May-19 08:18:50

Oh ready that's toughsad it's hard when you know they're not on top form. Hope today goes well and she starts to feel better.
Gree your poor dd. Periods have a habit of appearing when you least want them! Sorry your dd is suffering.
Dd is the most stressed she's been this week. She's dreading chemistry and aware she could have done more revision for it. Will be glad when today's misery is over - halfway to never having to do chemistry again!!!
Good luck to everyone's dc today. Hope the papers are kind!

Iambuffy Thu 16-May-19 08:21:14

Oh gosh.
So sad hearing how some DC are struggling sad
I feel for them - and their parents!
Agree with Maud - concentrate on what you need. I've been telling ds1 this since Feb.
So his mark profile may be spikey - doesn't matter.
Doesn't need pe, eng lit or 1 of his sciences to do what he wants to do.

Iambuffy Thu 16-May-19 08:22:52

Pe will be done tomorrow thank goodness!

Greeborising Thu 16-May-19 08:23:41

Thanks Glee

I think they’ve all had enough now!

ready I hope your dd feels better over the next few days. It’s bad enough without feeling like crap!

ILoveYou3000 Thu 16-May-19 08:27:21

Sorry for all those struggling. These poor kids, there's just so much pressure on them. DD looked knackered this morning so I've told her, no revision tonight. She needs to have some down time to recharge. So she's planning on shower, face mask and Friends, and I'm making her favourite for dinner.

Next week she only has 3 exams, it's the the third week she has the most (7), can't say I'm looking forward to that, especially as I'll be doing exams myself that week.

Good luck to them all for Chemistry today and for anyone doing others this afternoon. Hopefully the chemistry paper is a bit less strange than biology was.

Soursprout Thu 16-May-19 08:29:58

CarrieErbag Thu 16-May-19 08:33:45

My dd had a bit of a tearful wobble yesterday and told me she just wanted to be 5 when we used to snuggle up and read Jennifer yellow hat rather than be tested on Chemistry equationssad

myrtleWilson Thu 16-May-19 08:33:45

Week 3 is the nightmare one for us in terms of intensity- 8 in 5 days. 😱 Am going to stock up on caffeine and treats!

readyforsunshine Thu 16-May-19 08:33:48

Thanks gree & glee!
Lambuffy you are absolutely right with your attitude, I’ve been through this once with a (not at all studious) ds & gcse results were very quickly a distant memory. They have years of being told how important it all is & beyond the initial interest in marks, the only ones that mattered were the ones necessary to get him to the next stage. Very quickly it became apparent that his chosen next stage was not suiting him & he’s now flourishing down a different route. It is not the be all & end all🙂

slalomsuki Thu 16-May-19 08:38:15

Good luck everyone. We have Chemistry this morning and then the second History paper tomorrow which means that History will be done and dusted. Struggled with Chemistry a bit mostly due to lack of confidence and lack of regular teacher.

Next week is Maths, geography and physics then a 10 day break.

SolitudeAtAltitude Thu 16-May-19 08:46:07

Chemistry and Computing here today

DS hardly revised, and has wandered off to school all relaxed.

He says: " it's only gcse's, nothing to get stressed about" confused

I admire his composure, but fear the outcome without revision shock (mocks ranged from 3-9 so the results could be anything!)

I am doing the stressing for him grin, well, someone has to do it.

Soursprout Thu 16-May-19 08:48:37

Lifeandbeans Thu 16-May-19 08:56:19

'. I can’t think of anything worse than have to sit there for that long and not be able to access the paper. Must be terrifying.'

For me as a child not being tiered was a Godsend. I changed secondary schools and as my old school wouldn't send through my work or ability info I was put in middle sets.
In many classes I got frustrated as basically if you were below set 2 they didn't enter you for the higher paper.
Because of the lack of tier in English however I was able to get a B.

SEN DD forever spent most of yesterday stating at the ceiling.

Bimkom Thu 16-May-19 08:58:15

DS seemed very tired this morning as well. Chemistry is his strongest subject, and a definite A level choice, so I do hope he is not too tired and misses questions (that is the biggest worry, he really knows the subject inside and outside and backwards and forwards, but he could missread, or forget units, or just not see a question altogether). It is a completely different situation to the English Lit yesterday, where he knows he is going in on the back foot. But being tired could really mess it up for him.

Lifeandbeans Thu 16-May-19 08:59:01

*staring

Actually you've just reminded me that DD was meant to have a reader and she hasn't mentioned one.

Michaelahpurple Thu 16-May-19 09:00:27

I guess we must all have gone through this but I still look at my ds’s timetable with some horror - chemstry and Latin prose today, history source paper and french reading tomorrow. I wouldn't fancy that line up.

He seems pretty chilled though - announced yesterday that he thought english poetry and prose would be fine because at least he’s read the book a few times, averting that many boys hadn’t. Not sure I found that very comforting..

Plus he did a really weird book - My Antonia - only class in the school to do so, so no general materials or Mr Bruff or whatever.

Hey ho - done now.

Bimkom Thu 16-May-19 09:00:54

knew he was going in on the back foot (or knows for the subject in general). It does sound to me like the AQA Macbeth was better for the weaker students, and not so good for the stronger ones. For chemistry, DS would probably appreciate a harder paper, where he can show what he knows, rather than an easier one. For English Lit, that was definitely not the case, as a harder paper would have left him floundering

Lifeandbeans Thu 16-May-19 09:05:18

What exam board is history tomorrow?
I haven't got that on my list and DD has history exams.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Thu 16-May-19 09:12:04

Cambridge (CIE) History for ds tomorrow beans

MaddieElla Thu 16-May-19 09:25:46

Think everyone is a bit downbeat.

Chemistry is DDs strongest subject, wants an 8 but absolutely needs a 7 to do it at A Level. Her confidence has been damaged though and she’s convinced this exam is going to be exceptionally hard.

I just hope she needs the stuff she’s revised as she’s spent months working hard. So far she feels that she hasn’t needed half the stuff she’s revised, especially biology.

OddBoots Thu 16-May-19 09:36:43

This is DD's busiest week, she has 9 exams (or 10 if you count French Reading and French Listening as 2) this week. She only has 4 next week so it feels relatively quiet, as she only has 1 a day Mon-Thurs and a whole day off (the half term) Friday.

She has 6 the week after half term but only 4 the final week, I think it suits her for it to be front loaded, she will feel she is over the worst of it by the weekend.

gleegeek Thu 16-May-19 09:39:45

I think the volume of the curriculum means they can't be tested on all that they know but it does mean they can be tested on anything, however small, within the curriculum and that can make them come unstuck. I think at least with continuous assessment they got to demonstrate more of what they'd been studying and it wasn't a complete memory game. For dc with poor working memories, this system is incredibly tough and unfairangry
Taking over 11 GCSEs in one sitting should not be the sum total of 11 years of education. Dd is still 15 - in many ways she's still a little girl...

Iambuffy Thu 16-May-19 09:44:54

ilove I think ds1 has a similar timetable.
Only my 3 next week

readyforsunshine Thu 16-May-19 09:45:02

Same for my dd maddieella
I’m hopeful that all the work she’s put in will get her the result she needs I’ll or not, she is strong in the subject & there’s another paper with a chance to boost the mark.

Michaelahpurple Thu 16-May-19 09:58:29

Interested by the comment upthread about whether eng lit answers are grade set separately, to capture different difficulties of book or question. It is an appealing idea but I wonder ifnitis practical?

I notice that for several sittings, the examiners report for the questions on DS’s obscure novel just says that not enough entries were submitted to be able to comment, which would suggest that separate banding would be impossible.

SilentSister Thu 16-May-19 10:11:13

Interesting about "The Porter". DD not doing Macbeth until next week, but she would have loved this question. I mentioned to her about this character, and she said he is one of the main ones they focused on. He is the one who does the speech about erections, and so they found it really funny, and quote it often. I wonder are some schools reluctant to focus on him because of this....... surely not in this day and age.

Chemistry here too today, along with many of you, not DD's favourite. She could get anything from a 5 upwards, depending on the day/questions. She realised late last night that all the stuff she was stressing about doesn't come up in paper 1, so that helped a bit, but then she will have to confront paper 2 after half term anyway. Something to look forward to.

ILoveYou3000 Thu 16-May-19 10:31:36

DD just texted, she's out of chemistry and "it was easy" so 🤞🏼 especially as chemistry is the weakest of the sciences for her.

MaddieElla Thu 16-May-19 10:34:12

Which exam did she take?

Mine took triple AQA and I’m not sure the comments I’m reading on Twitter are for her exam.

ILoveYou3000 Thu 16-May-19 10:44:53

Maddie OCR, combined.

Mof3K Thu 16-May-19 10:59:40

Yup triple AQA here too. Dd has text it was ok ish with a really tricky " maths like" 6 marker!.

MaddieElla Thu 16-May-19 11:07:37

Yes DD just rang. AQA triple paper okay, everything she revised came up but the last page 6 marker was horrific. She thinks she's maybe got 2 or 3 marks out of it.

readyforsunshine Thu 16-May-19 11:11:34

AQA here too but not heard yet how she found it

MaddieElla Thu 16-May-19 11:12:06

Oh and she said she only just finished in time. Usually she can go over her paper, but not with this one.

AGirlHasNoCake Thu 16-May-19 12:21:20

DS did AQA triple chemistry. He says he did really badly - there were loads of things he had never heard of. He is in tears. Said the maths in the 6 markers was OK but the answers looked wrong to him...

Says he will never get into A level chemistry now, his life is over, he'll have to reevaluate his choices of career. All typical doom and gloom thinking.

DD did AQA combined chem - not heard back from her yet.

French and Drama tomorrow.

doublechocadooberry Thu 16-May-19 12:22:47

AQA here for DS.

I hadn't heard so have texted DS to see how chemistry went. I got back, "ok". I implored for more information as surely there is more to be said about matters and received, "hard". Again I tried and said do you think you could scrape a 4? Received "maybe".

Hmm not a lot of information to work with really.

marmiteloversunite Thu 16-May-19 12:24:57

AQA triple. DD texted me to say it was shit. Loads she didn't know even though she has done loads of revision.

Now she is really despondent before CS this afternoon! 🙄

gleegeek Thu 16-May-19 12:26:25

Dd did aqa chemistry. She said she found it hard but others found it easy. She said the concepts were straightforward but presented in a confusing way! She's already moved on and focusing on french writing tomorrow!

TabbyStar Thu 16-May-19 12:26:42

Mine just texted me asking for some money and has gone off into town for lunch. Could be good or bad, didn't think I'd ask!

Hotterthanahotthing Thu 16-May-19 12:26:43

Ours aren't allowed phones at school,she has computer science this afternoon.Im wondering wether to get in chocolate incase it was all bad.

doublechocadooberry Thu 16-May-19 12:27:20

Oh gosh AGirl I cross-posted with you. Sorry to read that. Hope he is okay. It seems to be a common theme with the science GCSEs so far papers that seem to be going off-topic.

ILoveYou3000 Thu 16-May-19 12:27:56

AGirl Your poor son, fingers crossed it's not as bad as he thought and he gets his 7.

Looking on Twitter, it seems like there was an equation on the OCR triple which was "impossible". Sounds to me that both AQA and OCR has reasonable papers for the combined but extremely difficult for the triple.

MaddieElla Thu 16-May-19 12:30:02

3000 that’s the impression I’m getting too.

Iambuffy Thu 16-May-19 12:37:10

Chemistry is not ds1s strong point.
Sounds horrendous

TabbyStar Thu 16-May-19 12:44:08

Trying to find ammonia in the periodic table (!) and missing the six marker on the back seem to be the main issues from Twitter, and something about a badminton racket!

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Thu 16-May-19 12:44:42

Not heard a dickybird from ds. Chemistry will not have been a favourite in any case.

steppemum Thu 16-May-19 12:45:06

Hello, can I join in?
Ds is doing his. He is a maths and science person. He came home quite happy after yesterday's English, as the poetry question was 'really hard poem, but the question was on loss which we have done to death in class, so managed to write lots' Which was great.(I was expecting him to scrape a 4 at Eng lit, more concerned about Eng lang)
He didn't mention Macbeth, but then getting any actual details out of him is like the proverbial blood and stone.

Chemistry this morning. He has just phoned to say he is on his way home, so we will see what he says. AQA and triple.
Nothing this afternoon and then French tomorrow. ironically he hates French, we insisted he did a language, but about 6 months ago decided if he was going to do it he might as well pass, and really put some effort in. Tues french seemed to go OK.

Iambuffy Thu 16-May-19 12:49:05

Ds1 doing aqa triple too

CarrieErbag Thu 16-May-19 12:49:32

Edexcel igcse chem this morning, a disaster apparently, all about the practical experiments and she couldn't remember a thing.

steppemum Thu 16-May-19 12:50:37

ds comment after biology was - really nice paper, loads of good questions, but that means that everyone will have done well so harder to get a high mark.
Interesting point!
If it is hard, they all found it hard, so the total marks for everyone are low. It is comparative.

Greeborising Thu 16-May-19 13:04:20

Dd never texts so I won’t hear anything about chemistry until she’s home after CS and Latin, about 5pm 😬

I really hope it was ok it’s her ‘thing’

But from what I’ve heard it was a horrific paper!

Bimkom Thu 16-May-19 13:05:34

Finally a text from DS regarding AQA Triple Chemistry (he did have a maths revision class right after, so chose to go to that rather than text me). He said "It was good" "Like so much maths". Then said "Our class (and the rest of the country) seemed to be split about it."
It might be that it favoured the mathmatician side of the spectrum rather than the biology side of the spectrum.

Bimkom Thu 16-May-19 13:10:40

French tomorrow. And guess what. When DS took his Folder 2 for Art in on Monday, he was told he really ought to do an Evaluation of his final piece (he sort of had done one as an annotation, but a formal one headed Evaluation). So Art is not in fact completely done, and he will probably try and write the Evaluation this afternoon. Monday is the absolute deadline.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Thu 16-May-19 13:11:48

DS just texted to say he was 'fully confident with 40% of it' 🤣

hanahsaunt Thu 16-May-19 13:13:31

Coming late to this party. Heartsore for ds2. English lit is his thing and to date looks likely to get 8/9; first choice A level for next year. He found A Christmas Carol fine but is devastated by Romeo & Juliet - said that his mind just went completely blank and he froze sad He was so subdued last night and still had that hollow look this morning so not the best for going into AQA triple chemistry ... waiting to hear ...

MoobaaMoobaa Thu 16-May-19 13:20:55

just carching up, as had phone problems and login issues.

DS was back to being really anxious and stresses this morning pretty down again, he has CS after triple chemistry and I think the thought of staying in school was worrying him. He never does well when he's like this sad

Had a text of him to say chemistry was shit and the worst ever. he's usually good at chemistry too, he did say the rest of the class really struggled as well though.

I was hoping it wouldn't put him off his CS but when he went to the library to rivise they were telling them to leave site. he said he just wants to put his earphone in listen to music and revise. I don't think this afternoon going to be good.

daisypond Thu 16-May-19 13:26:10

Does anyone know what allowances are made for a child who’s had an extreme event happen just before their exams? My nephew’s mother died suddenly and unexpectedly less than two weeks ago. They are sitting the exams.

This thread is not accepting new messages.