Talk

Advanced search

St Mary's Cambridge vs Sancton Wood

(8 Posts)
etsy8 Mon 13-May-19 11:11:58

Can anyone comment on their recent experience of St Mary's Cambridge or Sancton Wood? Our DD (due to start Yr 9 in Sept) is very bright but also very anxious, so we're looking for somewhere where the pastoral care is strong and where pupils are nurtured as individuals . It's a question of finding where she'll be academically stimulated but not over-pressured, which isn't always an easy balance. We're concerned that girls schools can be intense and cliquey, but Sancton Wood may not have the right intake or ability to stimulate her. Looking round, staff at both seem to say the right things, but if anyone can comment on their experience of either school (or any other school in or near Cambridge which might be suitable) then we'd be very grateful. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
OKBobble Mon 13-May-19 19:08:49

Have either of these schools got the capacity to take her? I mentioned this because most private schools in Cambridge sort out admissions in January of the year they start. Also Sancton Wood (which does sound a good option for your dd) has a very small intake.

etsy8 Mon 13-May-19 21:06:08

Thanks, OKBobbie. She has a place at St Mary’s, and Sancton Wood is moving to a new site in Sept so I think they will also have space. So hopefully it’s just a question of finding the right place for her. It sounds like you think Sancton Wood may be better for a child like her?

OKBobble Wed 15-May-19 06:29:23

Pmd you

Biscuitsneeded Wed 15-May-19 20:21:11

I don't have direct experience of either but I know two extremely bright but quirky children at SW who have thrived. I thought their parents were taking a risk by sending them there when they had been top of top sets, but it seems to have gone well.

etsy8 Thu 16-May-19 00:10:42

Thanks very much —that’s so reassuring to know.

1Mumsontherun Thu 16-May-19 22:40:25

I dont know much about St Mary’s but I do know my two children are really happy at Sancton Wood. Both are fortunate to be bright and sporty and academically are pushed to reach their full potential. The school seems to have pretty high expectations of academic success as well as behaviour and the way the pupils are with each other. The school is pastoral and the teachers have lovely relationships with the children which means they know them all well and can nip things in the bud quickly. The children are really kind to each other too I have found. I like the way the school includes parents in decisions and regularly communicates with us individually so I still feel I have ownership if my kids even when they are at school. The class sizes are small but most forms are two form entry so have 32 in a year group and my sons year group next year is three form entry. The new building is amazing loads better than the current senior site which they out grew very quickly as they expanded. Some year groups are full but quite a few with the expansion seem to have space as the school is still growing. My friends daughter came to the school last year suffering from panic attacks having started a large state school and she is a different child now much to her parents relief. Hope that helps.

etsy8 Fri 17-May-19 02:11:58

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of the school. I went to Sancton Wood’s open day last Saturday and their pastoral emphasis case across strongly so it’s good to hear that corroborated. We loved the new senior site. It had a lovely feel to it—and it’s also the only senior school that I’ve ever been to that’s immediately easy to find your way around!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in