Advanced search

Secondary waiting list choice

(7 Posts)
Destinysdream82 Thu 14-Mar-19 17:51:18

Hi Mums,

Sorry if someone has asked already

My daughter got her second choice Secondary school and while she was devastated at first after a while she started to get come round to the idea of going to a second choice school.

Local authority automatically placed her on waiting list for her first choice school but I just wanted to know if anyone knows if her first Choice School offers her a place off the waiting list does that mean that the second choice school automatically disappears or do I have a right to refusal because I don't want automatic allocation, I would like ability to refuse the place as she is undecided but warming up to the idea of a second choice as everyone is recommending second.

If the opportunity comes, at this moment I really (nor she) would know the decision.


OP’s posts: |
prh47bridge Thu 14-Mar-19 18:06:46

You should have the right to refuse and keep the place at the second choice school. However, some LAs automatically remove the second place offer if you get a waiting list place at your first choice. So you need to check your LA's policy.

Destinysdream82 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:13:08

That is what I am afraid of, wouldn't a blanket policy among the LA's be easier?? Anyways my daughter is undecided and it is her spending 5 (7) years there so we want it to be the right one. I will contact them in the morning. Thanks for the help

OP’s posts: |
Lozzerbmc Wed 20-Mar-19 18:56:41

It should indicate this on your offer letter/email. Im in Wokingham, Berks and we got 2nd choice school. If we get 1st choice its automatically allocated to us and we lose 2nd choice school. Its presenting us with a dilemma

toomanycats99 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:59:55

I got a waiting list offer and I had to formally accept it. I didn't lose my existing place ( I actually declined)

Hersetta427 Wed 20-Mar-19 21:08:19

Some LA's (like Herts and Berks) automatically take away the place at the second choice school of a place at your first choice becomes available so find out what your LA do and think carefully about whether you want to remain on the waiting bloat for a Higher choice

Destinysdream82 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:12:10

Thanks everyone, I contacted Kensington and Chelsea and they said I have the right to refuse so it gives her a little bit more time, I am happy with both so it is totally up to her.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in