Advanced search

Wilson's vs Tiffin

(23 Posts)
Charing Mon 04-Mar-19 14:48:20

My DS got an offer from both of these top Grammar schools but do not know which one to choose from - help! It is such a difficult decision even after visiting these schools. We are prepared to move near our chosen school so our son will only have 30-35mins daily journey. We very much appreciate any recommendations from parents whose son is currently at these schools.

OP’s posts: |
ChristopherTracy Mon 04-Mar-19 15:32:25

You cant have an offer from both. You may have passed them both - is that what you mean. What have you ACTUALLY been offered?

3luckystars Mon 04-Mar-19 15:35:32

Write a seperate pros and cons list for both of them. That's the secret.

Charing Mon 04-Mar-19 15:51:26

To ChristopherTracey, yes, we actually received offers from both school.
Thanks, 3luckystars - we haven't thought about that simple secret - its difficult to think when one is panicking - we're too eager to make the right decisions for our only DS's future.

OP’s posts: |
sandybayley Mon 04-Mar-19 16:01:55

@ChristopherTracy is right - in normal circumstances you can't be offered both. You get the one you placed highest on CAF which you qualified for.

Can you explain why you think you've been offered both?

Sweetnhappy1 Mon 04-Mar-19 16:08:16

I may be able to explain. My DD has an offer from Tiffin and we put Nonsuch second on our form. Today I received an email from Nonsuch saying that my DD is of selective ability but she wasn't offered a place because she got a higher preference and if we've changed our mind about the order we can place her on the Nonsuch waiting list. I wonder if the OP has had similar.

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Mon 04-Mar-19 16:23:42

OP, I'm assuming you mean that you have the option of going on the waiting list for your second choice and you'll probably get in because of the high school.

Wilson's and Tiffin are both very good schools. My two sons are at Wilson's and it's been great for them.

I would choose the one that's easier to travel to. Why not go for the one you originally put higher on your list of preferences (presumably the one you've been offered)? You must have had reasons for making that choice originally.

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Mon 04-Mar-19 16:24:08

* high score

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Mon 04-Mar-19 16:34:43

I just received an email from my DD's second choice grammar school saying that she could go on the waiting list. It's not an offer of a place. OP, you need to read the email again.

HotpotLawyer Mon 04-Mar-19 17:09:41

So the super-selectives are trying to poach the highest on the list that they couldn't fit in first round?

And telling applicants that they are highest on the list so would get in?

You can go on the waiting list for your second choice, but you have to specifically ask, you won't be automatically added as you are for first preference schools.

It is this sort of tactic, anyway, that ensures that their respective scores stay high, simply because it reflects the intake.

Extra-curricular, facilities, music, sports, arts, journey and where you want to live.

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Mon 04-Mar-19 17:14:35

They're not trying to poach the highest on the list they couldn't fit in. They are trying to poach those with high scores, who got into a higher preference school. They are hoping that some may have changed their minds since doing the form back in October.

HotpotLawyer Mon 04-Mar-19 17:24:51

Yes, you are right, Worms - my logic went missing for a moment grin
And they do even better under your correct version.

Charing Tue 05-Mar-19 10:34:36

Thank you for all who have considered my query and given their helpful comment. My family will just need to calm down and carefully consider both Offer of Places. Yes, we did read our email carefully and both schools have formal offers and not 'waiting list' offer.

OP’s posts: |
Hersetta427 Tue 05-Mar-19 10:54:05

What did you put as your first choice on your CAF form?

I too am surprised you have two offers as all applications are handled by the LA who will only give you the offer you ranked highest - what did you therefore put first?

3luckystars Tue 05-Mar-19 10:55:54

I think this might be an exceptional case.
Good luck with moving house.

WhenDoISleep Tue 05-Mar-19 10:57:35

I would suggest that you contact the LA you applied via to clarify the situation as you should normally only get an offer for one state school, not two.

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Tue 05-Mar-19 13:46:10

I know you don't want to listen, but it really truly should be impossible to have two offers from state schools. If you really have two offer emails it is because THERE HAS BEEN A MISTAKE somewhere.

You really need to speak to admissions at your LA and the admissions at the school, which wasn't offered to you by your LA and find out what has happened. Maybe you were meant to receive the waiting list letter and got sent an offer one by mistake. No child is so clever and wonderful that they will be the only child with two state school offers.

You are in danger of refusing a place at a top school for a place THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN OFFERED TO YOU. Do you really want to be back on here in two weeks whining because your son has missed a great opportunity?

Charing Tue 05-Mar-19 13:54:08

@ Keeping The WormsQuiet. The offers came from LA and yes, we are in constant communication with then through email and telephone conversation.

OP’s posts: |
3luckystars Tue 05-Mar-19 13:54:51

She said they were offered a place in both schools.

I have a bit of an imagination but I think both schools want this child and they probably didnt even fill in one of those forms and may even be living in another country. (In a palace).

Good luck with your choice. I don't know anything about either school but where do you picture your son would fit in best? Can you imagine him in either one, laughing and happy. Then that's the one.

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Tue 05-Mar-19 14:00:19

The LA has given you two offers??? What have they said about your receiving two offers during the "constant communication"? Did they say that they abandoned the nationwide system of school allocation
because your son was just so special? I don't think this is true and you're wasting our time with your fake dilemma.

TrainSong Tue 05-Mar-19 14:09:14

Which one is easier to travel to?
Which does your DS prefer?
Which has the extra-curricular that he most wants to get involved in?

The travel is massively important. Once they are older they stay late at school, sometimes four nights a week, or go in early or go in on Saturdays. A quick reliable journey makes a huge difference to the quality of life they have.

Well done to your DS. They are both good schools.

Mustbetimeforachange Tue 05-Mar-19 14:29:36

There have been a few errors with people being offered 2 schools this year (look at the eleven plus exams forum). You need to find out which is the genuine offer, OP, because something has gone wrong.

Hersetta427 Tue 05-Mar-19 15:03:28

Assuming the OP listed one of these schools first in their CAF, then I assume that is the correct offer. Again, what school did you list first - are you know considering a school you listed as a lower preference?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in