This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Putting together an appeal(4 Posts)
Yesterday my son didn't get his first choice of secondary school. His first choice was right next door to his primary and is where the majority of the class will going. We are 2000 metres and the last child offered was 1700.
He's taken it really badly, lots of crying, won't eat, doesn't want to go to football training last night or this morning. He's saying he won't go to school at all (not like him as he loves school). He's blaming our house move (we stayed in the area but did move which probably has just tipped it). We've been through so much these past few years I honestly don't know how much more we can take.
I've tried to reassure him that we could possibly get in via the waiting list but have also tried to be positive about the school he's been offered.
It wouldn't be quite so bad but the school he's been offered has just gone into special measures and he won't know anyone.
Anyhow, I suppose I should at least try to appeal, not holding out much hope as I don't seem to have much grounds other than he's familiar with the school/area. Social aspects. I know you can't be seen to be criticising the school you have been offered.
Can anyone give me any ideas to start to put something together?
From what I'm reading it's going to need much more than just a letter.
I feel your pain. In a similar position, asking the same questions too. My son is already going through a funny stage at the moment with school and had to see teacher and head about it yesterday morning, and this news of the school has tipped him so I don’t know what he’s going to do on Monday.
Its a tricky one. Your son is upset and in shock. Right now, I'd concentrate on making him feel more positive about the future this weekend, whatever it may hold.
On Mon get yourself on the waiting list for the school you missed out on plus any other school you'd prefer to the one you've been allocated. Then think about whether you want to appeal. If you do, then look for things (subjects, clubs) that the school offers that your allocated school doesnt. You can mention things like friendship but unless he has particular social or emotiinal needs for stability (evidenced by a doctor) its unlikely that would make a strong case. Also look at other schools you may prefer - you can appeal for those too.
The disadvantage of a weak appeal is that it keeps your ds in limbo which is not always helpful if he's desperately pinning all his hopes on a success. Better if he can view it as "we'll give it a go but I also have faith in plan B".
You can't lose anything by appealing so you should give it a go. Look for things the appeal school offers that are particularly relevant to your son and are missing from the allocated school. This could be subjects, extra-curricular activities or the ethos of the school. You need to show that the disadvantage to him from not being admitted outweighs any problems the school will face from having to deal with an additional pupil. Depending on the strength of the case to refuse admission you may not need a very strong case to win so give it your best shot but don't rely on it. You will get plenty of good advice on Mumsnet to help you.
Please login first.