Talk

Advanced search

How do schools check the address someone puts on their application form is their actual address?

(19 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sun 24-Feb-19 21:38:09

Before anyone flames me, this is a general query. Hypothetically, if you are applying to state 6th form (and therefore the application goes right to the school and not the council), and you put an address down as the home/permanent address, presumably the school checks - particularly when they are over subscribed. How do they check?

OP’s posts: |
FuckItFriday Sun 24-Feb-19 21:39:19

Ours ask for a council tax bill and another bill as proof.

Bekabeech Sun 24-Feb-19 21:41:14

Around here the address is only relevant as things get sent there. You don't need the "right address" to get in.

AveEldon Sun 24-Feb-19 21:43:03

Council tax records and electoral roll

Wiifitmama Sun 24-Feb-19 21:45:13

Thanks for the answers so far. I am surprised by "electoral roll". Surely not everyone is on the electoral roll? Council tax bill makes sense though as everyone has to pay that!

ArnoldBee Sun 24-Feb-19 21:47:56

My husband's name is not on the council tax bill but he is on the electoral register.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 24-Feb-19 21:54:05

Quite a lot of people would be on the bill but not the electronic electoral roll, though. I'm only on the official paper version, and have been through a number of addresses. Once caused a problem with renting as they tried to tell me I wasn't on the electoral roll...so I handed them the polling card from the election the previous week.

TansyTree Sun 24-Feb-19 22:35:29

Do sixth forms select by address? I thought it was by grades? Mine aren't that age yet though so i might be wrong

MsTSwift Sun 24-Feb-19 22:41:47

The council have your address from council tax. Friends moved after making application and didn’t tell council hoping they wouldn’t notice but they got a snotty letter ticking them off and saying the council knew about the move and hinted they could be put to back of queue for not disclosing themselves.

GreenTulips Sun 24-Feb-19 22:44:01

Not sure 6th form need to check addresses they want the best students and don’t have catchment areas

Wiifitmama Sun 24-Feb-19 22:54:54

It depends on the 6th form. Certainly one I am thinking of absolutely has geographical distance as part of its admissions policy IF over subscribed. Which it is.

WobbleTime Sun 24-Feb-19 23:00:12

For ours it was a recent council tax bill and utility bill dated in the last 3 months and a copy of tenancy agreement or proof of property purchase at the address. This is for an over subscribed school. They are very careful!

CircleofWillis Sun 24-Feb-19 23:04:05

You are obviously asking as you are hoping to pull a fast one. Please don't do this as you will be taking the place of a child who has a legitimate claim on the space.

FamilyOfAliens Sun 24-Feb-19 23:06:32

How is this a hypothetical question if you’re talking about a specific sixth form college, OP?

Wiifitmama Sun 24-Feb-19 23:09:43

I gave an example of one in response to something someone else said about 6th forms not needing addresses. I am laughing at the assumption that I must be planning to pull a fast one which is not the case at all. I am asking in a general sense indeed.

C0untDucku1a Sun 24-Feb-19 23:12:04

Of course you are

HotpotLawyer Mon 25-Feb-19 09:12:16

One of the sixth forms we applied to looked at distance for over subscription, but I am not sure how it worked or how they applied it because they commented to Dc at tne application / interview stage that we lived a way away and then got an offer based on grades.

The schools and colleges ask for proof of address on enrolement.

Birdie6 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:14:19

I had to produce a recent bill with our name and address on it.

user1457017537 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:19:19

There is a secret electoral roll. You can tick a box I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in