Talk

Advanced search

Career Guidance

(6 Posts)
BackInTime Tue 12-Feb-19 11:00:36

DD is at a loss about what she would like to do as a future career and all her friends seem to have something in mind. She has taken some online tests but these seem varied and vague. She is capable and I think if she had an aim or something to work towards it might help her to focus a bit more. It would also help when making choices for college/ 6th form. Does anyone know of any good resources or have suggestions that might help her for careers advice? TIA

OP’s posts: |
TeenTimesTwo Tue 12-Feb-19 12:04:09

This is all just personal view, I claim no special insight.

If looking to do A levels, I would go for solid subjects she enjoys. Because if she enjoys them, they are more likely to lead to careers she then enjoys than subjects she doesn't enjoy. And 'solid' subjects (eg the ones that tend to appear on the 'facilitating' lists) will leave more doors open than more random ones.

If looking to do a BTEC that is a lot harder (as I found with my DD). I think you have to try to look at her current strengths and interests and see what is best fit.
e.g.
- is she an indoors / outdoors / mix person
- is she a sit at a desk, work on computer
- is she practical, work with hands
- is she confident talking to variety of people
- is she organised, problem solver, or more of a do-as-told

We ended up with Travel&Tourism for DD. (Liked going places, good with languages, good with people. Covered some marketing and business too. Seemed to be a good all-round course). Turned out to be a bit of a car crash, but that was due to other issues than the actual course!

BackInTime Tue 12-Feb-19 14:32:31

Thanks Teen that is good advice. I think she is looking to do A levels and says she would maybe like to do an apprenticeship degree or something that would involve combining study and gaining practical experience at something - just not sure what!

OP’s posts: |
TeenTimesTwo Tue 12-Feb-19 15:16:50

She must have some ideas on what subjects she is best at or enjoys most, surely?

Any extra curricular activities which could point a way?

misshalfglass Tue 12-Feb-19 15:20:56

This might be useful
amazingapprenticeships.com/app/uploads/2019/01/Parent-Pack-January.pdf

yearinyearout Tue 12-Feb-19 15:34:03

It's very difficult, schools don't seem to offer much in the way of career guidance at all. I sat down with our two and went though their favourite subjects/hobbies and interests etc to help them make decisions. The good news is that there seems to be a good variety of higher apprenticeships to choose from once she does have some idea.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in