Talk

Advanced search

Extra curricular activities

(9 Posts)
Applejack87 Tue 05-Feb-19 14:15:36

Hi , my child is in yr 8 and doesn’t really have any outside school activities and tbh isn’t into sports
I’m concerned that when he comes to GCSE it won’t look good
Is it necessary to have hobbies that contribute to the GCSE ‘S

OP’s posts: |
mrsm43s Tue 05-Feb-19 14:20:49

Hobbies don't contribute to GCSEs unless you specifically chose ones that are linked (such as instrument lessons would be useful for music, being a member of an outside sports club is useful for PE etc).

I do think it is useful as part of being a well rounded person to have other interests than school. Sports/music/drama/Scouts/Cadets etc all are good things to do.

Your child may start DofE in Yr9, which will encourage some out of school activities (sport, skill and volunteering).

bsc Tue 05-Feb-19 14:51:26

They're not tested on their hobbies at GCSE...

FeedMeBooks Tue 05-Feb-19 15:51:02

Not for GCSE or any applications but very useful to have an interest outside GCSEs to give teens balance and a change of scene/friendships. Would he consider scouts/cadets/drama? You can start Duke of Edinburgh bronze at 14. Or NCS at 15 www.ncsyes.co.uk/what-is-ncs?gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWOwrqhNUVuXz8kfo8l2X1zBXb-wNHWfyjVV3oNBchGzIEzZjXXlnNQaAvZxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Applejack87 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:44:49

Thankyou for your informative replies I feel he really needs to find something that he enjoys doing , a few people told me it’s important to have hobbies

OP’s posts: |
FeedMeBooks Tue 05-Feb-19 19:18:38

Another option is to see what your local library / museum offers for free. Our town library does a free monthly coding club. Or in London he could go to events like this www.rigb.org/whats-on/events-2019/february/lysc-hw-magnets-and-motors-age-13-15

Vargas Tue 05-Feb-19 19:27:35

He might enjoy CCF or DofE when he is older? What does he do after school at the moment? Is he musical?

fluffyhamster Tue 05-Feb-19 19:33:58

I think the good thing about hobbies (especially for boys) is that it fills their time up and by default limits the amount of time on PC/gaming.

Does the school not offer anything he fancies, or that his friends go to?

BackforGood Thu 07-Feb-19 00:06:49

I agree with all the other replies here.
Hobbies (with the possible exceptions of Music and PE GCSEs) don't contribute to GCSEs, but are great for all sorts of reasons
- providing other pools of friends
- a lot of people relax with a hobby
-for all round growth and maturity of the 'whole person'
- offers an alternative to sitting staring at a screen for several hours every night

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in