Advanced search

Work experience

(8 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSquash Wed 30-Jan-19 11:46:10

Hi, does anyone know if DS cold do work experience in a Deli or cafe or will they require a H&S certificate?

OP’s posts: |
Comefromaway Wed 30-Jan-19 13:37:51

What is a Health & Safety Certificate?

Offical school sanctioned work experiencce allows employers to take on young people who would not normally be legally allowed to work somewhere. They just have to undertake a risk assessment and make sure things are put in place to keep that young person safe.

A friends son who is now training to be a chef dids his Year 10 work experience in a posh cafe.

Comefromaway Wed 30-Jan-19 13:40:03

They would generally have to undergo an induction at the workplace which would include health and safety awareness and procedures.

TitsalinaBumSquash Wed 30-Jan-19 18:50:19

I meant a hygiene certificate or whatever the equivalent is these days,

I shall get DS to write to a few places then to see if they'll have him.


OP’s posts: |
BringOnTheScience Wed 30-Jan-19 19:09:19

He could do a basic hygiene cert online. It would demonstrate that he's genuinely interested. for example.

I handle the work exp applications for my firm, and really want to see something that sets a pupil apart from all the other identikit "I'm a team player / hard worker" emails.

clary Wed 30-Jan-19 20:56:36

Ds1 did work exp in a cafe then in a school kitchen. It was fine, no hygiene cert needed. He now works as a chef BTW

goldengummybear Sun 03-Feb-19 14:00:27

My dd didn't need any hygiene or health and safety certificates.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-Feb-19 17:56:01

Definitely get him to do the Basic Food Hygiene Certificate now OP.

I'd also ask him to complete the free allergy training offered by the Food Standards Agency smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in