Talk

Advanced search

GCSEs 2019 - support thread part 2

(1000 Posts)
AtiaoftheJulii Mon 28-Jan-19 20:27:25

Here we are again grin

MaddieElla Wed 15-May-19 16:50:58

Sunshine, my DD didn't like Jane Eyre either. Which I was disappointed about as it's my favourite book.

She was expecting this to be her weakest exam so she's not downbeat, but I do think she thought she'd do better. I've told her to move on and concentrate on chemistry tomorrow which is her favourite/most important subject.

Iambuffy Wed 15-May-19 16:55:05

Oh God, chemistry!
Ugh.

pointythings Wed 15-May-19 16:59:03

DD2 did Macbeth and An Inspector Calls - she is very very very annoyed that Macbeth focused on the Porter, which all her teachers seem to have forgotten to mention. She says she managed to blag some stuff, which she usually does well, but is irritated. Inspector went well for her.

Scabetty Wed 15-May-19 16:59:43

Edexcel Eng Lit paper for DS was Macbeth and An Inspector calls. Macbeth question was on the Porter! DS says his teacher said ‘who the bloody hell is the Porter?’ 😂😂

Scabetty Wed 15-May-19 17:00:08

Cross posts 😂

KittyMcKitty Wed 15-May-19 17:04:33

Edexcel Macbeth was a funny question with the excerpt on the Porter. The 2nd part was better talking about evil. The AIC questions (choice of 2) were great though.

Soursprout Wed 15-May-19 17:30:55

Dd ( aqa) said Macbeth was about violence and sign of four was about justice. Said the Macbeth question was “ easy ..too easy .. there was masses to write” then said the sign of four question was really hard

I’d be interested to know how they balance the questions across texts? If most schools have happened to pick texts which (for that year) have more accessible questions then surely it drives up the grade boundaries ?
Bit rough if your 2 texts happen to be trickier that year

Luciaia Wed 15-May-19 17:33:55

Anyone else’s dc trying to balance chemistry revision with learning the Latin poems? She seems to be neglecting chemistry

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 17:34:02

DD (AQA) says she would have quite liked the Porter question grin

Greeborising Wed 15-May-19 17:36:50

Luciaia same here.
Dd says she’s knackered!

Soursprout Wed 15-May-19 17:44:06

Luciaia
Dd has yet to do 2 exams in one day
Sounds a difficult one to balance! Perhaps your Dd feels more confident with the chemistry?

Scabetty Wed 15-May-19 17:55:37

Ds has computer science paper 2 and chemistry tomorrow. Revising chemistry tonight and leaving cs he says.

Greeborising Wed 15-May-19 17:56:05

Dd’s Got 3 tomorrow
She had 2 Monday back to back with no gap
She said “my butt cheeks never left the seat” !

Tomorrow is chemistry in the morning then a couple of hours break then CS & Latin, again one straight after the other.

She said it’s OK.

Thank goodness nothing on Friday so a long weekend before it all starts again!

Bigearringsbigsmile Wed 15-May-19 18:01:44

english lit went well here-romeo and juliet and Jekyll and hyde
he was somewhat elated!

Chemistry and latin tomorrow

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Wed 15-May-19 18:02:55

I told ds the other night not to ignore the porter!

But he did Edexcel anyway so my advice was unnecessary...

Seems fairly pleased, said Macbeth was good, J&H not as great. Said 'I hope Macbeth's been working out because he's going to have to carry my J&H question' grin

mamamedic Wed 15-May-19 18:56:31

Sourspout Yours is a very good question.
DS does (AQA) Sign of Four which was horrible ; wouldn't normally matter too much as Grade Boundaries will be low. But if lots of others had lovely questions about Jekyll and Hyde the grade boundaries will go higher.
Are the different texts marked separately? That would seem fairer.

ILoveYou3000 Wed 15-May-19 19:03:24

mama I'm almost certain each text is marked separately, as that's the reason my daughter's school selected the texts they did. Other than Macbeth the other two aren't popular so that helps with grade boundaries, or so I was told.

Iambuffy Wed 15-May-19 19:23:32

Ds is now revising chemistry for tomorrow.

Friday is PE paper 2 which he prefers.

He only has 3 exams next week but then a very heavy week after half term.

Moobaadoublequackdoublequack Wed 15-May-19 20:27:15

ILoveYou3000 that was a bit mean of her chemistry teacher.

DS was very happy with Eng lit today, says it was a lot easier then his mock, and he didn't stress and have his mind go blank!

ILoveYou3000 Wed 15-May-19 20:41:38

Moobaa I know. I don't understand why, especially when it's a conscientious, hard-working kid. My daughter came home and did her own revision. She's just finished and is having a cuppa before an early night.

flatmouse Wed 15-May-19 20:54:26

AQA biology 1 went very well. AQA PE1 v hard. AQA eng lit 1 (Macbeth & Christmas carol) horrid questions. Currently revising for tomorrow's chemistry. PE2 and Drama clash on Friday. She has 30 mins to go to loo, eat lunch, relax and get her head ready for drama. Think that a little unreasonable.

flatmouse Wed 15-May-19 21:00:25

Am getting worried that general feedback on Macbeth and Christmas carol questions were "easy" when DD struggled. I don't want her to dwell though so am not questioning too much what was so hard.

D0ubleTheJoy Wed 15-May-19 21:02:02

DCs did not enjoy Eng Lit today, but at least it's over, no more poems to memorise!

Chemistry and Latin tomorrow, lots to memorise tonight.

NoClueWithStyle Wed 15-May-19 21:07:15

Dd found computer science and biology much better than expected, but has been in tears after today's English lit. From what shes says there is no way she will pass. She was diagnosed as dyslexic last summer and we knew English is her worst subject but she felt she'd get a low pass.
She had worked hard and learned all her quotes as advised by teacher, but says that she only answered one of the three questions. So max possible is 20 out of 80 marks. I really feel for her, because she has worked hard, and although she is dyslexic she is also very intelligent.

Once an avid reader, she has now lost her love of reading and hasn't read a book for pleasure in over a year. As an avid reader myself that makes me really sad.
I have two hope's for her...that she passes English language so she doesn't have to retake it next year, and to rediscover the joy of reading.

I'll be so glad when all the exams are over.

myrtleWilson Wed 15-May-19 21:20:51

Just saw number of posts so quickly made a thread 3
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/3586869-GCSEs-2019-Support-thread-3

Didn't mean to breach any protocol - apologies!

This thread is not accepting new messages.