Talk

Advanced search

Gcse options

(12 Posts)
cittigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 18:42:57

Looking at GCSE options now. Dd is in yr 9 going into yr 10 in September. She wanted to do French the last 2 years but wasn't able to. She has been studying Spanish and is doing quite well.

If she chooses (and is allowed) to, is it unfair that she starts it now as she maybe at a disadvantage to the other children to start with. Any teachers out there that can help? Fwiw dd speaks 2 languages fluently already.

OP’s posts: |
cittigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 18:46:22

I mean do French as well as Spanish

TeenTimesTwo Sun 06-Jan-19 19:30:39

Not a teacher. Define 'unfair' I guess.

DD1 did Spanish from scratch in y10, but the whole class was starting then so the teaching was pitched to that.

Presumably in your school children either do French or Spanish in KS3, so presumably they must be used to some picking up either of them new for GCSE? I think you need to talk to the school on how they manage it.

I think from DD's experience, having done 1, the second isn't so hard as you understand the concept of how languages work, plus some words are quite similar so easier to guess the meanings.

We also found that the exam techniques needed were the 'same' for both subjects, so the learning for one transferred to the other.

DD had the same teacher for both which helped in some ways, but she (DD) did occasionally use the wrong language in class!

superram Sun 06-Jan-19 19:31:59

I did French until Year 9 but chose gcse German-it was fine, I got an a.

cittigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 19:35:49

Thank you both, your comments are very positive and helpful smile

ShalomJackie Sun 06-Jan-19 19:38:21

I would think it highly unlikely that the school would allow her to do French as well as Spanish if she hasn't been atudying it for the past 2 years. She would definitely be at a disadvantage not only to pupils in her own school but across the country as a whole

cittigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 19:50:28

Thanks Shalom. I think it's worth a chat with the language head though.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 06-Jan-19 20:06:03

The other 'option' I can is the school might not allow French or Spanish to be started from scratch, but might offer German to all from scratch.
Have you had your options information paperwork/meeting yet? That should make things clear. DD2's is in 3 weeks and we are trying not to get too fixed until we see the guidance and blocking.

cittigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 22:36:18

No you're right, they may not but I have asked if they'd consider on the basis that she is bi-lingual and doing well in Spanish. German isn't offered at this stage.

RedSkyLastNight Mon 07-Jan-19 12:56:07

Is French one of the languages she is fluent in?
DC's school (it struggles for language teachers) only allows DC to pick up an additional language if it's one they are multi-lingual in (but actively encourages them to take another language in KS3). So, for example DS's friend who is English/Spanish bilingual learnt French in KS3 and then picked up Spanish at GCSE.

cittigirl Mon 07-Jan-19 17:35:04

No she is fluent in English and Italian.

cittigirl Mon 07-Jan-19 17:36:23

She'll be taking the GCSE Italian exam this year

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in