Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Art A-levels: Godolphin & Latymer OR Francis Holland

(6 Posts)
BewilderedW8 Tue 04-Dec-18 16:46:35

Hello everyone!
I am a newbie with a burning and urgent question. My DD has just been accepted to both Godolphin & Latymer and Francis Holland School sixth forms but I only have a week to choose between the two. All she is interested in is art, design, applied arts and textiles (rare subject). Any experience with these subjects you could share, and generally any experience about the academic and pastoral side? She is currently at Putney High and the art department there is below par.
I am looking forward to your comments
Thank you!

AbstractNoun Wed 05-Dec-18 22:10:57

Not sure what you're after, but isn't G&L considerably more academic?

BewilderedW8 Thu 06-Dec-18 14:38:39

thank you, I was hoping to hear about actual experience from parents whose girls study art in both schools.

BubblesBuddy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:16:43

Surely the choices of schools you have made meant you looked at the Art and Technology Departments before you applied? What are results like? What did you see in the schools that made you think they were suitable? Lots of high class work? If you are not sure, go back and ask to have another look and chat with the HoD. Lots of private schools do textiles: it’s not that rare. I assume she’s not doing all 3 Art based A levels.

Academics should be obvious. Pastoral is difficult to judge, but if you like and trust the staff, then pastoral should fall into place and their policies will tell you a lot. What do they say about supporting their girls?

AbstractNoun Fri 07-Dec-18 18:02:08

Art at G&L is excellent, as is pastoral care. But girls will be expected to work hard at other subjects too, whether they are doing the IB or A-levels.

Mulberry10 Sat 08-Dec-18 13:29:09

Art A Level at G&L is really exceptional. My DD did it and loved it, gained in confidence and skills throughout. I can also wholeheartedly recommend the school in terms of pastoral care and helping girls to achieve their potential without overt pressure. Feel free to send me a message if you want more info.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: