Talk

Advanced search

HBS vs NLCS/Habs

(8 Posts)
nizzy123 Mon 29-Oct-18 19:03:38

No doubt this question has been posed before. DD2 has managed to get into band A for HBS which means she has a decent chance (albeit no guarantee) of getting a place at Henrietta Barnett school. Our DD1 is at Habs girls and we have really found the school to be great in all respects.

Given that DD2 wants to also sit the NLCS and Habs girls exams
a) we feel we need to give her the same opportunities we have given DD1
b) Monies aside, we wonder what would be best for her.

They are all a similar distance from where we are.

I am curious if there are any parents with DC at BOTH these schools and how they would compare their experience of both HBS vs Habs girls/NLCS.

DD2 is independent, hard working and self motivated but at the same time is fairly shy especially with grown-ups. Not the most sporty but will give-it-a-go type.

Looking for input from any parents with children at both the schools, to help work things through in my mind.

OP’s posts: |
Xenia Mon 29-Oct-18 20:37:57

it might be hard to find one with children at boht schools. I had daughres at Habs and NLCS and would not have considered state schools and never went to a state school myself but I am HB is fine and it does very well. I worked full time and could afford the fees. Not all women are int that position. i think Habs or NLCS would be best for her for all kinds of reasons personally but hopefully you will get a state school fan along soon who can balance me out as it were....... they are all good schools.

Zinnia Tue 30-Oct-18 01:04:53

Congratulations to your DD for getting this far in the HBS process. As you undoubtedly already know, it's a fantastic school with an academic record as good as any - and better than many an - independent school.

I'm sorry I can't provide the exact perspective you're looking for, but as I know (very bright) girls from N London private junior schools (including NLCS) who haven't succeeded in getting as far as your DD with admission to HBS, I hope she's proud of what she's achieved, whatever you and she decide to do in the end.

FanDabbyFloozy Tue 30-Oct-18 06:29:58

I agree you will struggle to find someone in your exact predicament.
Knowing kids at the 3 schools, I would caution that while none are exactly local schools, Henrietta is the one that girls travel large distances to. Fancy a drop-off to a weekend party near Heathrow, for instance? This does affect the extra-curricular activities at the school. It depends how important that is to you.
As far as I can see, the kids are happy in all the schools so you can't go wrong.

pretendingtowork1 Tue 30-Oct-18 21:32:37

HBS is a hot house, Habs is very all-round and remarkably low pressure given the results it gets. if you can afford it I'd go for Habs.

Zoolatry Wed 31-Oct-18 07:44:29

Ex HBS girl here, with DC at super selective indie. Go for the independent if you can afford it. It’s the ethos and extra-curricular that makes the difference, exam results will be almost the same.
But it depends on your child.

user149799568 Wed 31-Oct-18 16:49:41

@Zoolatry would you please clarify what you mean by the ethos?

Zoolatry Wed 31-Oct-18 17:48:55

The whole child, not just the exam results. Truly independent learning, confidence, inspiration, opportunity.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in