Talk

Advanced search

Computers for secondary kids

(13 Posts)
filka Mon 15-Oct-18 08:21:19

I've been living abroad for about 20 years and am about to return to the UK permanently with a 12yo boy & 14yo girl. Abroad their school requires them to have an Android tablet (with a minimum specification). What are they going to need in the UK, for a typical comprehensive school?
Desktop PC, laptop or tablet?
Apple, Windows or Android?
How much grunt ? e.g. if you provide a Windows PC is it i3, i5 or i7?
Also...what apps do they need for school purposes?

I guess this might be a piece of string question but I've really no idea. The question is what do they really need for education purposes, not what do they have for gaming, social media etc.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
RedSkyLastNight Mon 15-Oct-18 09:36:43

They need
- a device they can use to access the internet (for online homework, and also for researching topics)

- a device and software that enables them to type documents and also to create presentations.

A tablet (with Office type software) would probably be fine. We have recently bought our DC cheap reconditioned laptops (basic spec would be ok for school stuff) because actually it's nicer/easier to be able to type with a proper keyboard and to use Word/OpenOffice.

They do also have access to the computers at school but this can be limited e.g. at DC's school this is restricted to an hour before school and an hour after school, and the computers are reserved for Y11/Y13 only at key times of the year.

With respect to your other questions - I think it's personal preference. I also can't think of a single app they "need" for school.

Growingboys Mon 15-Oct-18 10:05:02

They just need to be able to google stuff, and print as well.

We have a very basic Lenovo laptop and I bought an HP Inkjet printer.

Private schools v different - plenty demand that parents buy them a Macbook! Thank goodness we don't have to do that. I didn't get one til I was 40!

Soursprout Mon 15-Oct-18 14:14:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedSkyLastNight Mon 15-Oct-18 14:38:57

soursprout

My DC would just email the work to their school email account. Unless I'm missing something? I can't imagine schools would be that keen on students transferring work using memory sticks or similar.

filka Mon 15-Oct-18 16:57:28

@soursprout when you say "to their school email account" do all schools give their pupils email accounts?

Despite the requirement to have a tablet where we are, they kids don't have school email

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
CraftyGin Mon 15-Oct-18 16:59:17

Op, you need to ask the school. No one here can speculate.

FishesThatFly Mon 15-Oct-18 17:02:03

Mine have Show my homework app/website, hegaty maths and a science website that they have to access for homework.

Plus some homework has to be submitted online via these websites.

Soursprout Tue 16-Oct-18 10:23:10

Soursprout Tue 16-Oct-18 10:24:53

RedSkyLastNight Tue 16-Oct-18 12:29:50

My apologies then soursprout - I'd assumed in this day and age that email accounts would be universal, but clearly not. Really surprised that the school allows memory sticks- they are basically a virus waiting to happen ...

In your case I'd say your child would be better off saving school work to cloud storage and then accessing it from there, rather than physically transferring files.

Penguinsetpandas Tue 16-Oct-18 14:27:47

I would check with school - DDs grammar expected a laptop (or desktop) and gave them a memory stick. Need to be able to use memory stick, print, type documents, research.

Comp seems to just require them looking things up so far but early days. Our laptop has Windows. Comp has school e-mail, not sure if grammar did. Do have access to computers at school but not always within tight homework deadlines. DD did Word doc other day. I would vere towards a laptop but check with school.

Penguinsetpandas Tue 16-Oct-18 14:37:19

We've got two Lenevo laptops from PC World, ones a Yoga 520. Other one was a similar price but not 2 in 1. Both have been fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in