Advanced search

Scary ndary school admission

(6 Posts)
Carroll47 Fri 12-Oct-18 20:28:12 child lives at his grandmothers 3 school days a week the secondary school nearest to her is the most convenient because of this
And also because he has medical problems that require pain relief
If hewent to a school further away it would be difficult for her to get to him as a non driver.

OP’s posts: |
Fridaydreamer Fri 12-Oct-18 21:28:00

What’s your question?

PatriciaHolm Fri 12-Oct-18 21:31:49

You need to apply using the child's permanent address. In your case, it will be your address (assuming he lives with you the other 4 days) not his grandmothers.

You can't chose, unless (usually) in the rare case of a child having genuine 50/50 residence between parents. Most LEAs will use the address receiving child benefit should there be a dispute.

I would imagine the school would supervise the administration of pain relief if required during the day rather than expecting a parent or guardian to attend to do so, if medically advised.

donkir Fri 12-Oct-18 21:32:57

But he lives with you 4 days a week so you need the school in your catchment area and not the grandmothers. You can put both down but you're unlikely to get an out of catchment school.

BrickByBrick Fri 12-Oct-18 21:37:40

A lot of school admission criteria have one relating to medical and/or social issues, it may be worth looking into that as this may mean he is a little higher in the over subscription criteria.

You will need actual medical evidence though, they don't just go on your say.

catslife Sat 13-Oct-18 10:04:20

It really depends on what the admissions criteria are for your preferred school. How close do you live from this school?
Obviously you may not wish to put medical information on here but does this school have a "medical and social" category for admissions? If it does what do you need to do for your child to be considered under this category? Just stating that "my son has a diagnosis of .........." isn't usually enough, you would need a doctors letter.
Most secondary schools will have facilities for pupils taking medication. When dd was at secondary she was able to manage this herself with an adult witness signing a sheet to confirm she had taken her medication and correct dose. We did not apply under a medical category though (there wasn't one).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in