Talk

Advanced search

6th form familiarisation days

(5 Posts)
Fluffy1966 Fri 12-Oct-18 14:53:38

First time posting here !!

My twin DD's are in year 11 and doing their GCSE's next Summer. Their 16th birthday is on 4th July so we have booked an amazing holiday to Florida for this. We have carefully booked to make sure no dates clash with our holiday and all exams are completed.

Or so we thought! My DD's are now pretty sure which sixth form college they want to go to. Enrolment and induction dates are all at the end of August/early September so no problem there.

However, this college runs two familiarisation dates right in the middle of our holiday! If we move the holiday back a week, it will cost us an extra £1k, but more importantly, we won't be in America for the 4th July (twin DD's birthday). This was one of the main reasons for going - turning 16 out there and being part of the July 4th celebrations.

We are going to discuss it as a family and make our decision, but I wondered what other people would do? How useful are these familiarisation days? The college says they aren't mandatory, but I do think my DD's would find them useful, especially as they aren't always the most confident girls.

Just as you think everything is sorted and organised!

OP’s posts: |
TeenTimesTwo Fri 12-Oct-18 15:08:43

I think these days help for a few reasons, but none of them essential if you know what you want in advance.
- to choose between 6th form colleges
- to try tasters of A levels if you are still deciding between them
- to do a dry run of travel, canteen, meet people

If your DDs knows the college they want and are confident on the A level choices, then I don't think missing the days will be any great harm.

Just because they meet people on a taster day, doesn't mean they will have classes with them anyway, depending on the size of the college. e.g. Our local one in Hants has 2000 in year group.

BackforGood Fri 12-Oct-18 15:21:12

Keep your holiday as it is.
It is VERY common for families to book their first ever 'out of school holidays, holiday' after GCSEs. so there will be others that don't go.
There will also be lots of dc that get different grades from expected, or who go to different 6th forms / colleges for other reasons.

Go on holiday and don't give it a second thought.

CeeCeeMacFay Sat 13-Oct-18 12:37:37

I wouldn't worry. My ds couldn't go on his as his current school had work experience scheduled that week. Loads of kids change courses and colleges before the start of term.

greencatbluecat Sat 13-Oct-18 14:14:28

Don't change your holiday. It is useful to go on the taster day but not the end of the world if you miss it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in